ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Paperless Home: Need document management software

<< < (6/12) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
Have you ever been able to automate input to OmnniPage?  What I mean is have you ever batched a job where you created a text file, etc. that was then able to be read into OmniPage and used OmniPage to create the final, searchable doc?  We used to do this in college...

Darwin:
Hopefully this is on-topic: I have Omnipage Pro 15 and PDFConverter Professional 4 and I am trying to figure out why I need PaperValet or PaperPort? PaperPort is on sale at Staples for $49 so I am kind of tempted (and PaperValet is attractive because it's a small download with lots of features) but I can't quite see the point. I am meticulous about digital file organisation (sadly this doesn't equate to ANY organisational abiliity in the physical world  :-[) and I don't have, and do not intend to buy, a scanner with multifeed capabilities. Is there any benefit to be derived from use of an app like Paperport?

Sorry to be dim, but I keep getting the come ons from Nuance about PaperPort and can never quite understand why I would need such an application.

Thanks,

Mike

cranioscopical:
Darwin: I keep getting the come ons from Nuance about PaperPort and can never quite understand why I would need such an application.
--- End quote ---

I honestly don't think you do need it.  I once used its forerunner (nearly 10 years back) and it was useful then because electronic filing of documents as images was relatively new for home users.  My own view is that, now, for someone without a blizzard of documentation to handle it's just irrelevant (as long as that someone has a system of some kind and doesn't just drop files with random names into the root  of C:).
This probably is one of those subjects (like favourite editors) where proponents, pro and con, have quite strong views.  I'd never condemn using a document manager if that's what you like...it's just not something I need.  I guess I file about 1000-1500 documents in the course of a year and I've had no trouble locating one yet.
Had I hundreds of pages a day, on closely similar topics, I certainly could see the use for a more sophisticated system.

(FWIW what I need is something that can read and convert tens of thousands of handwritten pages [from many different hands, in many different layouts] into editable and searchable text.)

cranioscopical:
Farmsteader: Have you ever been able to automate input to OmnniPage?  What I mean is have you ever batched a job where you created a text file, etc. that was then able to be read into OmniPage and used OmniPage to create the final, searchable doc?  We used to do this in college...
--- End quote ---
I just use Omnipage on an ad hoc basis when I want a bit of material converted in a hurry.  Acrobat Pro handles most of what I need.  I'm sure what you suggest is perfectly feasible with most scripting languages.  Good point, Farmsteader.

Even easier, though would be to use this:
Omnipage 15 Pro help file:  In OmniPage Professional, you can specify folder watching and mailbox watching as job input, setup recurring jobs and the time options for watched folder jobs, create barcode driven jobs and request E-mail notification of job completion.

--- End quote ---
That being said, I'd still expect PaperPort to provide its own linking mechanism to Omnipage, especially if it claims to be OP friendly in its sales blurb.
Mind you, what would be common sense from a customer viewpoint doesn't always penetrate the vendor's awareness :)

Darwin:
Thanks Cranioscopical! That pretty much confirms my suspicions. I'm still "feeling my way" with OmniPage - love it's accuracy and builit in text editor. I've been with ReadIris Pro for several versions (through 11) and find it very easy to use and light on resources (loads in about a tenth of the time of OmniPage) but it's not as accurate when converting pdfs into editable text.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version