ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Paperless Home: Need document management software

<< < (3/12) > >>

mouser:
regarding printers, I think Carol and I have both posted about our love of our Canon inkjets and the drivers on them.

brotherS:
regarding printers, I think Carol and I have both posted about our love of our Canon inkjets and the drivers on them.
-mouser (January 14, 2007, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
If you want a printer, the Brother MFC with the lovely feeder mentioned above isn't a great choice, but even after searching Google for a long time I found no alternative device with a feeder at such a low price!

It looks like Brother has no competition in this price segment.

brett:
Hi BrotherS

Before we all go and shell out some hard earned dollars.
I do suggest you download a trial version of 'PaperValet'
http://www.chocksettsoftware.com/downloads.asp

even though it appears to be abandoned. it has served us well for two years now.
Most of the request asked here it already meets.

So for $25standard, $45Pro you can get a product that will give you a great start.

From the screenshots below.
- Single scan
- Scan multiple pages to a single PDF.  (using either Append, or Add to Batch)
- Documents are kept in a Tree Folder Structure  (easy to backup, copy to CD, etc)
- File Name can have different fields auto appended/prepended. (we have the date auto prepended to all scans)
- OCR via Microsoft Office or Scansoft (but we dont use)
- Customize Fields in Pro version (we do use this)
- Has a inbuilt PDF/Tiff viewer that navigates via a folder layout. This alone is brilliant.

For searching , I prefer to use Copernic Desktop,

any questions regarding what Papervalet can do, just ask.

If you want a printer, the Brother MFC with the lovely feeder mentioned above isn't a great choice, but even after searching Google for a long time I found no alternative device with a feeder at such a low price!

It looks like Brother has no competition in this price segment.
-brotherS (January 14, 2007, 06:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, the brother is a dog for printing, we use the office laser for print, and only use the brother for scanning, some photocopying, the occasional fax or print.

Brett

edbro:
If you are going to use Copernic for searching then what is the advantage of Paper Valet? I have a freeware program that will scan single/multiple pages and save to PDF. By using intelligent filenaming and folder structures, it is very easy to find documents, especially if you use Copernic. 

I have a copy of Paperport 9 but I uninstalled it because even that didn't do much more than I could do with a manual system. I already had a search program (Copernic) so I didn't need Paperport to always be indexing in the background. And, pdfs are more portable than .max files.

brotherS:
True... if you only need to scan/archive one or two pages a week, you just need a regular scanner and not a huge program to handle the PDF work for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version