ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Best Archive Manager Review: Suggestions

<< < (10/12) > >>

alxwz:
I'd like to add that the compression review I had mentioned under http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=4 has now been completed, and they also updated part 1, with findings that are significantly different from their former results. Go figure.

Anyway, that's probably not how a review of archivers should be done in the first place (only measuring compression and completely ignoring features, usability and the like). A more user-friendly perspective like Zaine had taken in the review here is clearly more reasonable.

And, yes, I have to confess that suggesting arj32 was probably a strange idea (but gzip is a different story).

I'm looking forward to the updated review, but Zaine probably deserves a rest after the huge word processor review he has done (great job!).

zridling:
Wow, thanks alxwz! Yea, I have to get in a manic, altered state to work on those reviews. I have an IV drip of liquid chocolate going right now to bulk up for a 'Best Archive Tools revision later this year. Once I hit 300, I'll sleep for a week, and then get to work. Oh, and thanks for the link. The Techarp review went nuts on the charts and graphs. I'm glad he took the time to tell us that media files that are already compressed (e.g., MP3) are "difficult to compress." Okay.

Maybe I'll go for a whole rewrite and reduce the number of apps. I use 7-Zip a lot and see a LOT of folks using PeaZip as iphigenie noted. I'm serious: if a software app can't perform, then it's really a waste of time to review it, telling everyone that it's bad in every imaginable way: You could install Ultra Crap Factor Pro on your system, but you'd be better off going with a nice fat Sasser worm.

You get the drift.

giorgiotani:
Hi, I have read archive tool comparison on DonationCoder and found it interesting, with a lot of interesting tips and hints about usability.
I too hope you will update the comparison with latest version of archivers, and I hope you may find PeaZip worthy of inclusion in this comparative review.
In this case please remember it's still a very young program (while other ones are definitely more mature programs) and it's undergoing active development; you can find latest releases of PeaZip and PeaZip_portable for Windows and Linux on SourceForge.

psionics:
I've been searching (weeks)for:
a explorer-like GUI of Self Package (SFX) where you can drag n' drop files into the archive.(or prompt for password).. the idea is to make it a self-container (the files and the application) for easy distribution of files.. similar to "fSekrit" notes.. making it portable..

The question is.. have you encountered anything like it? coz for me.. that would be the best..

Thanks

iphigenie:
peazip does something that seems to match your description, to me, but i could misunderstand

edit: actually at the moment i cannot make this work, it might say "add to self extracting..." but it creates one file per file :S

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version