ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Remoting Software Questions

(1/4) > >>

Deozaan:
I haven't had a chance to look very far into this, but I just decided that I might like to set up a remote connection to my home computer so I can access it from elsewhere. Has anyone here used the Microsoft Remote Desktop software? Is it easy to get set up? Is there a quick guide somewhere on how to set it up properly?

Thanks!

jgpaiva:
I've used microsoft's rdp. It's simple, and has the advantage of being accessible in any winxp pro.
I could set it up in my local lan, but couldn't set it up on the internet (i didn't bother to find out how to configure my router for that).
But there's a problem with that protocol: IIRC, as soon as the remote user logs on, the session is terminated for the local user.
Also, i think that vnc might be a better option, as it allows you to access your computer through a browser window, and i think it is faster.

Deozaan:
What do you mean about the session ending for the local user? Does that mean all files and programs opened would be closed and it would log the local user off?

If it messes with the keyboard and mouse controls or just goes to a "switch user account" screen, that shouldn't be a problem. Nobody uses my computer but me. But I do leave programs and files open when I leave that I might not want closed out.

I figured RD was like VNC except that it was included in every version of WinXP Pro. That way, like you said, any computer with Windows RD could access my computer.

jgpaiva:
I'm not exactly sure if it logs out the local user, but i think not. I think it goes to the dialog you mentioned.
I see what you mean. Also, rdp doesn't need an extra program running ;)
If you only intend to use it on other computer with winxp pro, that might be the best option. But if you use other OSs, go for vnc. It also doesn't need anything installed on the client machine either.

mwb1100:
What do you mean about the session ending for the local user? Does that mean all files and programs opened would be closed and it would log the local user off?
-Deozaan (January 04, 2007, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

On WinXP only a single session is supported.  That session can be remote (via RDP) or local (on the console).  When an RDP connection is started, if there is a different user logged on to the desktop, the RDP client (the remote user) will be presented with a dialog that says the machine is in use and gives the option of logging that user off in order to log the new, remote user on.  If you're logging on remotely using the same credentials as the user logged on to the console, the desktop will be switched to remote use automatically.  While the session is remoted, the local, non-remote console (display, keyboard & mouse) is disabled except to allow ctrl-alt-del to regain control (which will disconnect the remote session).

It's similar to if the workstation is locked, and you press ctrl-alt-del - if you're not the user who locked the workstation, you can log on, but in the process the existing user is automatically logged off.  If you are the currently logged on user, you simply get the desktop.

I believe that in both cases you must have admin privileges to force the logoff of the current user.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version