ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2007

Phorp (Phone Home Robot Pro) - v1.00.01 - December 15th, 2006

<< < (2/2)

dajo:
This is a brilliant idea.

You could have some real fun if the stolen computer had a microphone and/or a webcam attached.

jharps:
Hmmm...nice idea, but...

I've never had a computer of any description stolen, and have never stolen one either! If this program runs in the system tray then surely that means that the person who stole your computer would have to discover your password to log into Windows/Linux/OSX or whatever. Surely any savvy robber who was after your data would just boot a linux liveCD (take a look at PCLinuxOS for example) and grab it that way or, if they're not after your data then wouldn't they just install a fresh copy of Windows/Linux/OSX with a reformat of the hard drive?

Just my two centabos worth...

mouser:
it's a good point that if your pc is stolen by a smart computer criminal, they are going to wipe your pc clean before connecting to the internet.. but then, how many robbers fall into that category i don't know.

the point about them not being able to log into your pc is a really good one though -- if they can't log in, they will be forced to reformat.. wheras i'm hoping to trick them into not going to the trouble of reformatting so i can catch them online.. maybe this is the one case where it's smart to tape your password to the site of the monitor  :P

momonan:
Thiefs and robbers
Not that it matters to anyone, but, under the law (with some variation from state to state), when someone takes something from your house, or lifts it from a desk at school, this is usually called "larceny" or "theft" -- not "robbery."   A "robbery" happens only when the victim is present and is at least threatened.  So the person who takes something from your house without involving you is a thief, not a robber.

If you're a glutton for information, click here for more:
SpoilerIn a nutshell:  "Larceny" and "theft" are interchangeable and are used when something is just "taken."  That person is called a thief.  "Burglary" is used when someone enters a house or building (sometimes breaks and enters) with the intention of committing a crime (could be theft or some other crime).  That person is called a burglar.  "Robbery" is used when something is taken directly from you, through force or intimidation.  That person is called a robber.  Although we may commonly say, "I’ve been robbed," that may not actually be what occurred.

jharps:
Hehe...good point momonan...but of course I was referring to the robbery of ones laptop, rudely ripped from ones hands, with scant regard to ones physical wellbeing, while one is out taking the airs on a sunny afternoon in Peckham, South London. With regard to the term "larceny" I don't doubt there is "some variation from state to state". However, I suspect you too fall into the category of Information Glutton and therefore I refer you to The Theft Act 1968 (1968 c.60), an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_Act_1968

Isn't this world wide web a wonderful thing  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version