ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2007

DC Forum Post Notifier Lite (a.k.a. Pop-Up Cody) - v1.1.6 - May 21, 2007

<< < (16/18) > >>

lanux128:
Wordzilla, how about a link from the notifier back to this thread so that we can post comments/feature requests/bugs much easily.. :) btw, what does "Read Abridged Posts Only" mean?

Wordzilla:
how about a link from the notifier back to this thread so that we can post comments/feature requests/bugs much easily.
-lanux128 (May 19, 2007, 01:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just click on "Check for Updates [v x.x.x.x]".  ;)

btw, what does "Read Abridged Posts Only" mean?
-lanux128 (May 19, 2007, 01:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

You know DC Post Notifier works by checking and loading one of the DC forum RSS feeds (https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss2;limit=10). The body text of an RSS feed (in this case, forum post text) is usually abridged (i.e. cut off after X number of characters) for bandwidth saving and readability. For example, "lanux128" -> "lanu...".

However, since the notifier is for DC geeks like you and me 8), there goes the option of "Read Abridged Posts Only". When it's unchecked, we get to read full-length forum posts ("lanux128") instead of abridged ones ("lanu..."). For me often I'm too lazy to open up a new browser window to "read the rest of the story", so I just go through everything in the notifier.

The option will not affect the idle bandwidth usage of the notifier, which consumes around max 2kb per minute when you set checking interval to every 15 seconds.

Wordzilla:
Could you make it somehow that I could switch between:

* getting notifications for any post
* only getting notifications for replies to Show new replies to your posts-justice (May 16, 2007, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

The problem here is the function only works when the notifier gets to log in your personal forum account (with your forum username+password), synchronize cookies and session info with your main browser, and click buttons (e.g. "Mark as read") for you like a robot. I'm not sure if it's practical to code these functions, though I'll certainly explore more. :)

One major drawback of letting the notifier get into your forum account is - you will be shown as "online" on the forum front page 24/7!  ;D

Maybe by allowing us experts to change the RSS feed the notifications are based on? (don't know if that would work)
-justice (May 16, 2007, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes that won't be too hard. Lemme see what I can do.  :)

app103:
Maybe by allowing us experts to change the RSS feed the notifications are based on? (don't know if that would work)
-justice (May 16, 2007, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes that won't be too hard. Lemme see what I can do.  :)
-Wordzilla (May 19, 2007, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you do this, would that mean that the popups would work with any smf forum's feed and not just DC's? (I know the extras would still be based on DC's forum)

How possible would it be to have more than 1 feed url? That way you could keep an eye on just the sections you want on DC's forum...or keep an eye on everything from DC and another smf forum.

(I am just thinking of ways this could be useful outside of DC and have a wider appeal.)

Maybe this is something you could think about for the pro version.

lanux128:
thanks for the details, Wordzila.. :Thmbsup: now, that's one option that i won't be using.. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version