ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why piracy is the better choice

<< < (3/3)

Carol Haynes:
like i said, i don't really know. but i would assume that directx 10 would be made available for xp or are microsoft going to deliberately keep it to vista.-nudone (December 28, 2006, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

At the moment they are saying it will not be available for XP >:(
-Eóin (December 28, 2006, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

In which case the games manufacturers won't develop for it. If you spend huge amounts of money on development you want a return on that investment - limiting distribution only to VISTA in the short term is unlikely to do that.

Personally I think MS will come under increasing pressure to release DX 10 for XP - though they may never admit it.

f0dder:
Carol: XBOX360+Vista-only... that does sound plausible to me. MS even released at least one games (I think it was one of the Age-of-something) which refused to run on win2k - for no good reason, which was revealed when some pirate group removed the XP-only check.

They're willing to do a lot to push their new pile of manure. (also remember how HALO was delayed after MS-purchase because it had to be converted to run on xbox instead of it's original target platform, the PC... and then the PC version was delayed for even longer, to help drive the original XBOX sales. I know several persons that bought an XBOX just for halo.)

Carol Haynes:
I know several persons that bought an XBOX just for halo.)-f0dder (December 28, 2006, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

More fool them - I still think the big game companies will expect software to run on more than VISTA - they're still releasing stuff that is compatible with Windows 98 because they know there is still a sizeable market out there!

dk70:
Will take time because XP works ok for most but the coolness powers of DX10 will make tons of people upgrade to Vista in a flash. If that is what it takes to make full use of new/expensive DX10 video card so be it. Same people will tell others to do the same or die with XP, may be start using Linux or Max since so unhappy etc. ;) There will be forces pulling both ways. Just features like Readyboost/Readydrive for Viste is enough - there are more than just DX10 to attract attention.

So the part of computer users who are into new technology will be easy to convert - every website about hardware, games will be focused on this sooner than later. MS knows - even if not all games will make full use of DX10. Games are likely to come in DX9 compatible version, with less eye candy/speed. Wait for the many comparison screenshots/benchmarks... Eventually majority will be DX10 only - about the time when no longer worth to maintain backwards compatibility.

Dont know about pile of manure but I know that for many people it dont matter one bit if speed and eyecandy is improved. They jump ship without battle, rest follows.

Those not caring for 3D will be harder to deal with, tech people and world is no problem and will help MS speeding up flow of transistion :)

Check out the road map for XP SP3 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx "2008" is part of Vista promotion in a way, stupid they are not.

brotherS:
Fresh article: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/24/1730250&from=rss

Electronic copyright infringement is something that can only become an 'economic epidemic' under certain conditions. Any one of the following: 1) The products they want... are hard to find, and thus valuable. 2) The products they want are high-priced, so there's a fair amount of money to be saved by stealing them. 3) The legal products come with so many added-on nuisances that the illegal version is better to begin with. Those are the three conditions that will create widespread electronic copyright infringement, especially in combination. Why? Because they're the same three general conditions that create all large-scale smuggling enterprises. And... Guess what? It's precisely those three conditions that DRM creates in the first place. So far from being an impediment to so-called 'online piracy,' it's DRM itself that keeps fueling it and driving it forward."

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version