ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wrong language displayed for some dialogues and other features in XP Pro

<< < (5/6) > >>

mwang:
Darwin, thanks for the quick tutorial.

Darwin:
Hmmm... those code pages remain greyed out - I can't uncheck them.  I don't have access to a computer at the moment that is English only. I'll dig deeper...
--- End quote ---

I lied. My wife has two notebooks from work, both running XP Pro Sp-2 sitting in her home office that are basic installs with Office 2003 Pro, AV and antispyware installs only. Forgot about those and am off to check them now.

Darwin:
Nope. Everything is the same. The only difference is that I have everything set on my notebook to English - Canada and the defaults are for English - United States. I've changed mine to the same and am rebooting now - see what happens (wish me luck)!

Aaaargh! I am losing my mind... There is now now East Asian Language support on this computer, all defaults are set and yet I am STILL seeing Korean dialogs in Paint. I might have to parlay this into an excuse to buy a new computer. No, wait, then I'd be stuck with Vista and bloody ArcGIS 9.1 won't RUN under Vista... (Darwin runs around naked on the lawn in front of his house screaming like a chcken. It's not pretty...).

Darwin:
This is caused by the fact that your Windows XP CD contains updates that will be automatically installed when you run setup. This type of CD's will usually be from larger OEM suppliers (like Dell, HP, or others).

You cannot use this type of CD to create a slipstreamed SP2 install

--- End quote ---

The above quote, from this http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html, speaks to why I can't slipstream Sp-2 onto an XP installation disc. What a steaming pile of... sorry, folks, not a good day in Darwin's little world - though Cranialscopical did fix my other, and more pressing, problem  :-*

tomos:
This is caused by the fact that your Windows XP CD contains updates that will be automatically installed when you run setup. This type of CD's will usually be from larger OEM suppliers (like Dell, HP, or others).

You cannot use this type of CD to create a slipstreamed SP2 install

--- End quote ---

The above quote, from this http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html, speaks to why I can't slipstream Sp-2 onto an XP installation disc. What a steaming pile of... sorry, folks, not a good day in Darwin's little world - though Cranialscopical did fix my other, and more pressing, problem  :-*
-Darwin (September 25, 2007, 12:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder would you be able to use a different copy of XP & your own registration number ??
I had a look for that forum post saying someone slipstreamed SP2 & XP from a HP oem disc but unfortunately couldnt find it.
You could always give it a go & see - probably wasting your time but you never know...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version