ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

My new favorite pen

<< < (4/6) > >>

Darwin:
Yeah, I wanted to keep this *somewhat* sane so didn't mention my MontBlanc Meisterstruck 149, Sheaffer PFM I (circa 1959, in black, my current favourite), Pilot Vanishing Point, vintage Parker 51 or my numerous vintage Parkers and Sheaffers. Another sweet one is a newish Watermans with a buttery nib. I'm not sure of the model name.

Of course, John, the holy grail for me is a Pelikan. Currently I favour big pens and silver rather than gold so an M805 would probably be right for me, though I've yet to handle one and can't be sure where in the 600/800/1000 range I would fit. At the moment I have far less disposable income than I have enjoyed in the past so must hold off indulging myself. Something I haven't done, but must if I ever get around to it, is to pare down the watch and pen collections (the watch collection crushes the pen collection for sheer quantity so I should start there, but I do have a wealth of Sheaffer snorkels and touchdowns that I don't use).

I absolutely hear you about the joys of filling fountain pens and loving them. Having a good quality fountain pen in your hand and writing with it is SUCH a treat. My only complaint is that I usually have too little to write!

johnk:
I absolutely hear you about the joys of filling fountain pens and loving them. Having a good quality fountain pen in your hand and writing with it is SUCH a treat. My only complaint is that I usually have too little to write!
-Darwin (December 10, 2005, 09:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Eh, yes. This is a fundamental problem with modern life, and the real reason why a passion for fountain pens makes no sense whatsoever. I spend my life in front of a variety of PCs. The bulk of my "writing" seems to be signing countless documents at work, or attending the odd meeting.

But even signing a document is much more fun with a fountain pen. On top of which, when someone sees you writing with a fountain pen, it always seems to start a conversation. And however nice they might be to you, it's obvious they think you might just be ever so slightly mad...

rjbull:
I use fountain pens too, but I'm in the cheap-pen camp.  This is partly because of cost/loss/breakage/theft, of course, but only partly.  The other part; it seems to me that the pen/pencil you write best with is the one that wants to help you write, so in my case, I want a barrel that's not too thin in a pen that's light in the hand, and not cold to the touch.  That rules out most quality fountain pens because they're often metal and therefore heavy.  My current choice in fountain pens is the Sheaffer No-Nonsense range, which meet the above criteria and seem to have pretty good nibs.  The latest bottle of their black ink isn't to my mind as good as the last one, though.  Meanwhile, I keep casting sheep's eyes at Lamy pens.  They look very modern, but have what look like very ergonomic barrels.  I see the author Garth Nix now uses Waterman fountain pens to write his fantasy novels:  http://members.ozemail.com.au/~garthnix/writing.html
He adds some notes on why he likes to write in longhand.

mouser:
Save $200 in 2 minutes and have the worlds best writing pen
(use mont blanc refills in another pen)

http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/7899F5DC1A2310299AD7001143E7E506/

from digg.com

jgpaiva:
Save $200 in 2 minutes and have the worlds best writing pen
-mouser (April 17, 2006, 04:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
AhAh.. Funny and interesting article, it looks like a good idea for those who like that kind of points.
I use a rotring freeway fountain pen and i love it. I even like it more than my father's mont blanc :tellme:
Here it is:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version