topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Holiday Seasonal Software discounts — links here!  (Read 7727 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Holiday Seasonal Software discounts — links here!
« on: December 10, 2006, 07:12 PM »
I've seen several end-of-year discounts around the web like at SlySoft. However, one of the sweetest is XYplorer File Manager, which is 25% off for the month, and it comes with a Lifetime license. I love it!

If you see other discounts floating around this month, let's link them here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 07:14 PM by zridling »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Holiday Seasonal Software discounts — links here!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 07:18 PM »
is it just me, or does zaine seem to like xyplorer?
(personally i'm still preferring directory opus but it took me about 14 hours to find the option in preferences i was looking for.. so i'll have to check out the alternatives again soon i think).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 07:22 PM by mouser »

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 09:12 PM »
He sure does Mouser. But I am still a hard core Directory Opus fan. Directory Opus Forever!

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Perhaps it may be a good idea to move this thread from here to

Found Deals and Discounts
https://www.donation...index.php?board=39.0

This will make it easier for visitors to find all the deals and discount under the same heading.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 10:45 PM »
Thanks patteo! Hey guys, you'll never find me saying a discouraging word about Directory Opus — XYplorer has some catching up to do before it's -------------- SCRATCH THAT THOUGHT --------------- XYplorer will never be Directory Opus until it has customizable keyboard shortcuts (version 6?). At least I hope not. I still open and use Directory Opus all the time; it's one of the most powerful pieces of software you'll ever use, but hey, I just find XYplorer a lot of fun.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 11:27 PM »
Just wondering,

If one uses Directory Opus, would there really be a need to use another Dual Pane File Manager. I find that Directory Opus can literally do everything that one would ever want to do with a File Manager.

The one thing that keeps me with Directory Opus is that it is really customizable. So I customize it to have same or very similar shortcuts with Norton Commander which was what I had grown accustomed to over the years.

Having done that, I was able to migrate almost painlessly over. Yes, there are still a few shortcuts (or behavior) available in Norton Commander that one cannot duplicate in Directory Opus. But by and large, this is more than compensated by Directory Opus ability to send commands to other programs that accept commandline commands and also it's myriad other features (for which I have yet to fully appreciate and use).

Any based on the little I know of the customizability of Directory Opus, you probably can duplicate the command shortcuts of almost any other File Manager you can think of.

Moreover, I find their forums to be very responsive and or informative. You can almost get a solution within a few hours of posting a questions there.

So is there any reason for a Directory Opus user (fan) to try something like XYplorer then !

Maybe there's something that I'm ignorant about here.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 12:23 AM »
[patteo]: So is there any reason for a Directory Opus user (fan) to try something like XYplorer then?

No. Yes. No. Sure there is — for the fun of it! However, XYplorer isn't a dual-pane file manager like most others, just single-pane. (I switch between drives anyway.) You won't switch from Directory Opus to XYplorer, but it's a creative program and you'll see just how refined DOpus is.

Saw where a XYplorer crack was making the rounds. That's depressing. I hate it when the small devs get pirated. Cody gotta eat too, man!

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 03:25 AM »
So is there any reason for a Directory Opus user (fan) to try something like XYplorer then !
The contradictio in adjecto in that question is between the terms "reason" and "fan". Fandom per definition is beyond reason.  :P

For non-fanatics there are indeed many reasons to try XYplorer, whose typical users are not fans (with the exception of Zaine maybe  ;)) but folks that need to get their work done as quickly as possible so that they can go out and play earlier. XYplorer is not a toy but a tool. It is fast to learn, fast to configure, fast to handle, and fast in its operations. On top of this, it is small, cheap, portable, and does not leave a blood trail in your registry or system. When DOpus is a tank, XY is bow and arrow. You choose.

I'm not going into features here. Check out this for an impression of the Zen of File Management: http://www.xyplorer.com/product.htm (Don't get intimidated by the crowded screenshot. Every element can be hidden by a single keystroke.)

- Don, the XY Zen Master  :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 09:17 AM »
I'm a DOpus user and love it... However, I've been running a trial of XYplorer and can see what the fuss is about. I love the information panel at the bottom of the screen -very, very useful. The thing I LOVE most about XYplorer (at the moment and after mimimal usage of it) is its portability. DOpus forums are rife with requests for this functionality and there is no official support for it and no plans for adding this in the future. There have been some awkward workarounds that users have posted, but these seem to violate the license. Anyway, XYplorer's portability might just compel me to buy so that I can carry it on my thumbdrive. Now, having said that, I'm always getting enthusiastic about using my thumbdrive in this fashion, but never do ;)

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 02:52 PM »
Saw where a XYplorer crack was making the rounds. That's depressing. I hate it when the small devs get pirated. Cody gotta eat too, man!
The crackers ain't the problem for me. They are just your average teenagers trying to show off. I'm fine with that. Break the rules, cross the borders, feel your power... alright.
What's really disgusting is the wimps that use the cracks to betray hard-working coders. Folks that have the money, folks that wouldn't move a finger themselves without being paid for it, folks that use the cheap anonymity provided by the web to steal with near-to-zero risk from workers that hurt their eyes and backs to create outstanding and original tools. Where's the fun in that? :mad: