ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-Review of Fineprint (Virtual Printer)

<< < (14/22) > >>

mwb1100:
My Canon ip5000 has a cartidge tray feed but it also also a straight through feed - it is great to have the choice. Plus it includes automatic duplex, automatic 4-up booklet printing (which is really neat), mulitple page reduction to a single sheet and CD/DVD printing and produces really great photos.
-Carol Haynes (December 16, 2006, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Doesn't the fact that those features are built into hardware render FinePrint rather pointless?

-rjbull (December 29, 2006, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm hoping that FinePrint will let me set up 2 types of virtual printers -

1) ones that simply let me give my own name to the network printers at work (um... is the color printer that's on floor 2 the one named LP711 or is it LP345?).  I have no idea why Windows won't let me do this natively.

2) Virtual printers for the same printer, but with different settings.  I want a Printer named "LaserJet - 2 up" and another simply named "LaserJet" that does 1 up printing.  That way I don't have to go into Printer Properties all the time; I just need to select the virtual printer that does what I want.  Again - why can't I do this in Windows natively???

I haven't run the trial, yet, but the description of FinePrint seems to indicate that it can do both things.

cranioscopical:
Virtual printers for the same printer, but with different settings.  I want a Printer named "LaserJet - 2 up" and another simply named "LaserJet" that does 1 up printing.  That way I don't have to go into Printer Properties all the time; I just need to select the virtual printer that does what I want.  Again - why can't I do this in Windows natively???
You may mean something different but, have you tried this which works nicely for home use...?
Say you have a printer now, called HPLP711.  In your printers folder use the 'add printer' icon. Choose the printer type that you want to add (HPLP711) and, at the end of the process, you'll have a duplicate of HPLP711, probably named HPLP711 (2).  Go into the Printer Properties of this new 'printer' and set whatever you want.  Save, and then rename the new 'printer' with something useful,  e.g. "HPLaser-2UP".  Now "HPLaser-2UP" will appear as a choice in whatever print requester your software displays at print time.
I have 4 such 'printers' based on one physical printer and select what I want depending on the appropriate parameter at print time, such as paper quality, scaling...whatever.
Of course, you need access to relevant drivers and that's probably a problem in a corporate setting, depending on who sets what policies etc.

mouser:
chris is right, this is actually something you can do without fineprint, assuming you have printer drivers that will do it.  it's probably something worth finding a tutorial for.  most people dont realize that they can create several different printer profiles from the same physical printers, using the add printer wizard in the Control Panel printer section.

Very useful if you want one printer for fast drafts, one for high quality, one for duplexing, etc.

CodeTRUCKER:
I have a license, a rather dusty license to Clickbook too.  Maybe it's time to pull it out of mothballs and see how it can dance. :)

rjbull:
Plus it includes automatic duplex, automatic 4-up booklet printing (which is really neat), mulitple page reduction to a single sheet
-Carol Haynes (December 16, 2006, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Doesn't the fact that those features are built into the printer reduce the value of Fineprint?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version