ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-Review of Fineprint (Virtual Printer)

<< < (4/22) > >>

NigelH:
If you're trialing Fineprint, have a look at Blue Squirrel's ClickBook before you commit.
It may have a similar enough feature set it's also $49.95
I last used Clickbook in 1998
http://www.bluesquirrel.com/products/clickbook/

superticker:
Concerning Fineprint, is it possible to configure it to print 12-up as well?  I'm asking because I sometimes design tickets for events (like dances), and I want to print 12-up and 16-up on a page.

Does anyone remember DynoPage on the Mac?  One nice thing about DynoPage is that you could design your own layouts and margins for these different layouts.  This let you use non-standard paper sizes and these new paper sizes would show up in your Page Setup screen for any particular program like PageMaker.  DynoPage didn't have a 16-up "tickets" layout, so I designed one for it complete with cut marks for dicing the tickets.

DynoPage was also smart.  It did much of its manipulation within the PostScript interpreter of the printer.  Of course, you would have to be using a PostScript printer to take advantage on this.  As an example, you can page lock a watermark in a PostScript level 2 (or 3) printer so it prints out on every page automatically.

I often thought about learning PostScript but I really don't have time to learn yet another programming language.  I wish I did know it though.

patteo:
Concerning Fineprint, is it possible to configure it to print 12-up as well?  I'm asking because I sometimes design tickets for events (like dances), and I want to print 12-up and 16-up on a page.
-superticker (December 13, 2006, 10:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

No - it is not possible as far as I know. But you could for example design a page with 2 tickets and print 8 Up and what you got is essentially 16-Up.

Or you may want to take a look at :

DesignPro Limited - Avery Official Website
"DesignPro Limited
      Customize and print professional looking labels, cards, dividers and more in minutes!
      More Avery Templates than any other software
      More than 2,200 pre-designed Avery Templates.
      Import your own graphics or use the 3,400 images included*
      Includes step-by-step project wizard, built-in photo editing, mail merge, text curving and more
      *Limited & SE versions have fewer pre-designed templates and images"
http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=software.AverySoftwareDetail&catalogcode=WEB01&softwarecode=3200

If I remember correctly, the limited edition is free. But the objective is to have you use their Avery Labels. Of course you can use plain paper, but you just have to cut to size etc.

I guess it is no different from why the printer manufacturers literally sell their snazzy looking printers dirt cheap which are gas ink guzzlers (at US$2,000 per gallon of ink)

It's just a commercial decision for them.

rjbull:
I guess it is no different from why the printer manufacturers literally sell their snazzy looking printers which are gas ink guzzlers (at US$2,000 per gallon of ink)

It's just a commercial decision for them.
-patteo (December 14, 2006, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's called the "razors and blades" business model...  i.e., sell the razor cheap, but make vast profits by selling blades.  In the printer market, they may have overdone it.

Darwin:
I think they're overdoing it with razor blades, too...  :mad:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version