ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-Review of Fineprint (Virtual Printer)

<< < (10/22) > >>

Darwin:
Hi patteo,

ClickBook may be more feature rich - I don't know as it didn't last more than 12 hours on my system and didn't really get much of a workout. I didn't find it as seamless in its integration with my system and not nearly as intuitive as FinePrint and decided not to waste more time with it because FinePrint was perfect out of the box.

I should probably reinstall it and give it a thorough workout before I buy FinePrint. On paper it's an impressive application and no doubt deserving of a more considered evaluation! It's hard from viewing the ClickBook website (which has been changed since I downloaded the trial last week) to figure out its feature set. I presume that I'll have to reinstall the trial and view the helpfile to do that...

Darwin:
PS maybe this should/could evolve into a full review? Perhaps Clickbook should be approached about a discount, too? I'm not volunteering for the review because I don't feel that I am a "power printer" and am not sure that I could do a comprehensive enough job!

mouser:
ClickBook can do some unique things that can be really useful if you are doing things like booklet printing, because it has additional options for laying out the pages so that they properly oriented after folding.

patteo:
ClickBook can do some unique things that can be really useful if you are doing things like booklet printing, because it has additional options for laying out the pages so that they properly oriented after folding.
-mouser (December 20, 2006, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Booklet printing is something that Fineprint does exceedingly well. Sometimes, I think a one trick pony is a good concept for a software. It enables the author to really fine tune it so that it does the "one trick" exceedingly well.

And although one can say Fineprint can be called a one-trick pony since it basically intercepts your print job and let you preview and tweak various settings like background, how many to a page, footers, headers, save to jpg etc, remove graphics and so forth, it does add quite a bit of variations to the primary one-trick really seamlessly and well.

So if your primary interest is to print and save money, paper + convenience all rolled up into one, and I think most of us would fit into that category, then Fineprint will fit the bill very well.

But if you are also looking to print banners, day planner pages, wallet booklets, church bulletins, greeting cards, business cards, catalogs etc, then you are probably going to have to look at clickbook.

Somehow, looking at these other additional features, it gives me the impression that these are nice to have features that I may or may not use. But it would certainly be nice to have provided the baseline features which Fineprint has, are as well implemented in Clickbook (which I'm not in a position to comment). Hint hint - maybe someone can volunteer to do a Clickbook mini-review.

But as for me, Fineprint does what I need very well and I think I will just stick with it and it's one of the very few software I use that I would attach a "Work of Art" label to. As I said earlier in the mini-review, it is hard to improve on a Work of Art.

Perhaps that's the key reason I did not go and also try to do another mini-review of Clickbook. Maybe someone else will prove me wrong.  :-[

mouser:
I will contact clickbook makers and see if they want to offer a discount as well;
it would be really nice if patteo or someone else with familiarity with fineprint wanted to do a little mini-review of clickbook, to explore which areas they each excel in, etc.  Patteo are you sure you don't want to write such a mini-review?

NOTE:
this is why those of you sitting on your credits should be sending some to patteo and other reviewers like him, to encourage more such reviews.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version