ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Real code vs. Code in the movies

<< < (5/7) > >>

f0dder:
Edvard, duh - something as important as that is of course closed-source..

And well, if you drop a nuke, you're going to mess up most of redmond anyway, so might as well do the job proper :P

Deozaan:
;D ;D ;D

and using Linux kernel 2.4.30 to do it too!

although I could not find "icbm-launch" on SourceForge :huh:

P.S. Nuking all of Redmond as opposed to passing GPS coords for the MS campus only would perhaps be a little overkill, but I used to live there and the streets through town are pretty much a drive-thru shopping mall, so no great loss...

-Edvard (December 08, 2006, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not well informed on the destructive power of intercontinental ballistic missiles, but I think an ICBM would destroy more than Redmond if one was detonated there.

zridling:
There have been some terrible, terrible tech movies. Remember Sandra Bullock in "The Net" running around on the beach all Baywatch-style with her laptop? Real, as in nonfictional, science and movies rarely mix. "Swordfish" was a decent movie, but if I could do that with a computer, I wouldn't need John Travolta ordering Halle Berry to seduce me! (I'd just steal the money and be gone.)

GideonTech has a list of the Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film. I couldn't finish the first hour of the winner, which wasn't even on my radar.

Josh:
A supercomputer from the 1980's CANNOT out-perform a supercomputer from the current era. This was demonstrated in War Games - The Dead Code where Joshua (AKA, The WOPR) out-processes Ripley, a modern "supercomputer" which has the power to immediately begin processing right where it left off despite losing all power and not being a redundant power system.

40hz:
There have been some terrible, terrible tech movies. Remember Sandra Bullock in "The Net" running around on the beach all Baywatch-style with her laptop?
-zridling (December 17, 2006, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well...maybe it's just "a guy thing," but I'd rather look at Sandra Bullock than Kevin Mitnick - and technical accuracy be damned. ;D

Sandy or Kev? You be the judge:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version