ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: collect files in a virtual folder

<< < (4/6) > >>

cracksloth:
so it looks like the short answer is that using a combination of hardlinks and symlinks for files and folders would be problematic because of the inability to target network shares and because different programs may delete differently (some may delete the link and some may delete the original file).  i think this application would need to delete the original file.

after looking up some info on creating a virtual folder using a "shell namespace" (like perry mentioned), it looks like it might not be such a horrible task if anyone is up to it.  this also might be the best alternative given the problems with hardlinks/symlinks mentioned in the article above.  source code examples seem to exist if someone is interested.  but the file managers i have seen are proof that using a namespace is not necessary (but it would be kinda cool).

Perry Mowbray:
That was a good read, thanks skrommel!

but the file managers i have seen are proof that using a namespace is not necessary (but it would be kinda cool).
-cracksloth (December 11, 2006, 09:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

My only thought on that is that exposing it to the system as in a namespace only extends its usefulness and useability.

I'd be interested in reading the links you found...

- Perry

springro:

Directory Opus Supports Virtual folders under the name "File Collections".  You can create as many as you like.  It automatically creates one called "Find Results" as the result of any search operation.  That way you have all the matching files available to work on directly.

The are some limits on what can be done with the files.  The biggest drawback I've found (and listed as a requested feature from many) to the Dopus file collections is that it won't limit searches to the files in a collection.  It would be great to be able to select a number of folders from a crowded network drive and add to a collection.  Then just search those.

Other file operations are pretty standard.  The only added operation is "Remove from Collection".  It doesn't touch the file but pulls out of the view.  And there are entries under "Send To" for the File Collections.

-Rob

Software home page.
http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

Perry Mowbray:
Directory Opus Supports Virtual folders under the name "File Collections". -springro (December 12, 2006, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

DOpus certainly looks good, but I think what we were wanting was something that sits outside the filemanager.

I guess it begs the question though, if DOpus has replaced Explorer (which it can, right?  :-\ ) does that mean that its File Collections are outside of the filemanager (because it's become the Explorer)??

- Perry

JennyB:
Directory Opus Supports Virtual folders under the name "File Collections". -springro (December 12, 2006, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

DOpus certainly looks good, but I think what we were wanting was something that sits outside the filemanager.

I guess it begs the question though, if DOpus has replaced Explorer (which it can, right?  :-\ ) does that mean that its File Collections are outside of the filemanager (because it's become the Explorer)??

- Perry
-Perry Mowbray (December 13, 2006, 04:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but not in a useful way.  :(  The only way you can see what is in a collection is to open it in DOpus, where it looks just like any other folder. Outside, it doesn't.

For example, I run bbLean as a shell, so I don't actually see anything on the desktop. All the files and folders are in a Desktop menu, and I can navigate anywhere from there (the shell context menu works too). That's great because I can tear off a menu at any point and leave it open if I want to return there without going down the tree again.

DOpus can put a 'shortcut' to the file collections on the Desktop, so that automatically appears in the menu, but it doesn't allow you to navigate down to a particular collection - all it does is open DOpus. You can't get a shortcut to an individual collection either :(

If what's needed is it be able to tag a group of files so that they can
be found as a group, then maybe it would be nice to have a way to quickly add them to a group in FaRR? If grabbing an open web page got URL|Title, then FaRR would also make a nice portable bookmark manager!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version