ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

Getting Organized in 2007

<< < (5/5)

superboyac:
minidiscs are/were awesome.  Sony screwed it up in typical Sony fashion.

Arura:
I am new here, found this community when googled for gtd apps. I am trying Mylife Organized pocket pc, and hopefully will stick with this app. I have enjoyed reading posts about the previous experiment. Will join this experiment.

TucknDar:
Welcome to the site and this great community, Arura!

Arura:
Thanks for the welcome.

When will it start?

alxwz:
I think I'm in as well.

Last year, I discovered the experiment a little bit too late, although I was on a similar journey myself by that time, mainly focussing on GTD (which was the biggest hype at the time and probably still is), which never worked well for me, due to (1) the initial implementation being a bit too much to handle - there's not a lot of guidance in that system how to handle a huge initial overload - and (2) the concept of "contexts" never worked for me, as there still were way too many tasks in a handful of contexts, and having a-hundred-and-something to-dos in your "work" context is only insignificantly better than having several hundred to-dos in a general to-do list, and (3) the lack in daily guidance what exactly to do.

I recently bought a lot of time and self-management books, all of them of US and British origin, although I'm from Germany, but local authors generally keep repeating ideas from American literature. Among those are classics like the books from Charles Hobbs (a book and concept blatantly copied by Hyrum Smith and the Franklin Planner folks), Alan Lakein, Alec Mackenzie and Neil Fiore. Really interesting reading, but I'm not even halfway through yet.

Mark Forster (yes, I have his books no. 1 and 3, too) has a very good point when he says that changing your "system" every month is counter-productive. However, I don't believe in "systems" anymore. The only "system" that could possibly work for you is something that you custom-made for yourself, nothing pre-made for a general audience. You certainly have to adapt those concept for your real life situation and pick ideas from here and there. Edit: Sorry, noticed a little bit too late that iphigenie said essentially the same thing. So all I can do is agree. But I also think that some of the concepts visited last year deserve another - and closer - look.

I'm looking forward to how this will work out.

BTW: Minidiscs? Cool.

--
Alex

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version