ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Free Windows firewalls found better than commercial ones

<< < (3/7) > >>

dk70:
Ive become tired of most freeware firewalls but did manage to install and set up Comodo Firewall. Was 100% happy but have no need for it. Im sure almost anyone can do it - with some interest for net setup of course. Take a look at their forum, tons of tips and tricks. Good documentation and the "right" attitude from developers is worth a lot since firewalls can be tricky to set up and made stable. Some fall in love, some get BSOD - typical for many freeware firewalls. Comodo so popular most incompatibilities should be mentioned somewhere.

Darwin:
Like nudone, I've been holding off commenting on Comodo. I uninstalled the ZA Pro trial from my "backup" notebook (older machine that I intend to use in the event of hardware failure on my main notebook) and installed Comodo on it, which has been brilliant. Case in point: connecting the backup machine to our home network (with my wife's XP Home box and my XP Pro main box) worked well with no s/w firewall installed on the Win2k machine but proved impossible with ZA Free installed - I could find not way to configure ZA Free to connect. I have ZA Pro on my XP Pro machine so enabled the trial of ZA Pro on the Win2k machine and it connected immediately. I was trying to decide if connecting the backup machine to the home network was critical enough to justify purchasing another license for ZA Pro but decided to look for alternatives, at which point I discovered Comodo. After uninstalling ZA, I loaded Comodo and rebooted. On startup, the notebook connected to the home network without difficulty (I had to configure Comodo to do it, but there was nothing strenous involved - no heavy lifting!). Anyway, I'm going to leave my backup notebook running and connected to the home network and see if I can replicate nudone's problems. If I can't, I'll be seriously considering switching to Comodo when my ZA Pro subscription runs out.

lanux128:
this is interesting.. i had just opted for Windows Firewall about 2 mths ago & here it is ranked rock-bottom..

i'm not keen on looking for another firewall but all these talks of Comodo has been tempting. i hope it's not a case of "new broom sweeps well"..

f0dder:
It's Free. Forever. No Catch. No Kidding

--- End quote ---
So, I wonder when they're removing the free version, or stuffing ads or spyware in it.

Carol Haynes:
this is interesting.. i had just opted for Windows Firewall about 2 mths ago & here it is ranked rock-bottom..
-lanux128 (December 07, 2006, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not surprising it is ranked bottom though because it specifically doesn't do what they were testing.

Actually I think this whole article is a bit misleading because it is only testing for effectiveness against leaktests. It is in no way assessing the applications as firewalls. All of them fail at leat one leaktest so if that bothers you the only effective solution is to pull the network or telephone cable.

If you honestly think failing a leaktest is so bad then you need a firewall that can not only block all the known threats but also any potential new threats and no such beast exists.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version