ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

software i love

<< < (8/11) > >>

mouser:
johnk i agree with you 100% about how it's one of the most important class of programs and yet so many people don't even know about such tools.

and do i hear you volunteering to spearhead the review of hierarchical note tools (outliners)?  i do think it has the potential to be the most important review on the site.  :)

ps.
seeing martin post on this thread reminds me that one of the first programs i would install on a new computer would be his Website Watcher.  I honestly can't imagine surfing the web without it.

rjbull:
hierarchical note tools (outliners)?
-mouser (November 17, 2005, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm still looking for a Windows  NON-hierarchical notes tool for storing (semi) random notes, like Memory Mate and InfoSelect for DOS were.  Everyone who's tried it says MM for Win is a dog, and InfoSelect for Win is far too expensive, besides doing lots that I don't want.

What I do want: indexed files for fast retrieval, and sensible Boolean search logic, not just single words or some crippled patronising "you can't possibly understand it" cut-down version.  However, useful as /regular expressions/ are in some situations, I don't need them here.

Mouser, if you do a directory synchronization review, will that include programs that synchronize laptops over a serial or parallel cable, as well as PCs over a network?  IThat last is all that SynchBack does - very useful, but not all I want.  I should add that Total Commander can easily synchronize PCs over a cable, but you have to do it manually.  That is, you can't (as far as I know) give it a script for a set of directories and actions and leave it over the lunch hour, or something like that.

pl5bnsf:
I totally agree with aignes , Servant Salamander is the first thing on any computer I use. It may be deceptive as to it's power compared to other dual-pane managers but it just-plain-works. I have tried others and quickly go back to Salamander.

johnk:
and do i hear you volunteering to spearhead the review of hierarchical note tools (outliners)?  i do think it has the potential to be the most important review on the site.  :)
-mouser (November 17, 2005, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

You ask so nicely, Mouser, it makes it very difficult to refuse. You must use the same tactics to get those big software discounts  :)

If I can make some time in the next few days I'll do an outline (how appropriate) of categories and programs that  I think ought to be covered. I'll see how far I can take it.

f0dder:
Software that's part of my unattended installation CD :-*
These are installed automatically when I install windows, and a lot of the software is also integrated into the system. One bootable CD for all machines in the house :)

Opera - integrated as default web browser
xplorer^2 lite - file manager, integrated instead of explorer.exe
Foxit Reader - small and fast PDF viewer
Notepad++ - free+fast+opensource programmer's text editor, supports plugins

WinDirStat - graphical representation of file/folder disk usage
WinRAR - IMHO simply the best archiving tool, with great commandline options
Screenshot Captor - need I say more? :)
ACDSee32 v2.4 - *fast* image viewer. All their later versions suck, though.
UltraISO - good tool for creating and manipulating CD/DVD images
Daemon-Tools - lets you mount CD/DVD images as a virtual drive

PuTTY and related tools - SSH client and more, for connectivity with my linux box
WinSCP (secure copy) - graphical SFTP/SCP client, again for linux connectivity
SubVersion - great source/version control software

SysInternals tools - especially pstools and Process Explorer. "pskill iexplore" is useful if you enter one of those a-zillion-popups websites.
WinSpy++ - spy on windows classes etc. (I also use their lightweight hexeditor)
TrID File Identifier - useful for identifying filetypes
PEiD packer/crypter identifier - useful for analyzing suspicious files
OllyDbg debugger - nice debugger when you don't need source-level debugging

Spybot Search & Destroy - spyware cleaner
AdAware - the "classic" spyware remover
CrapCleaner - cleans up various registry crap and more

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version