ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: The Holy Grail of text reading on a PC

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ruffnekk:
What kind of documents should this reader be able to display? Plain text only or other formats as well?

urlwolf:
I would *LOVE* an app like that displaying pdfs and html at least. Other than adobe, there is no pdf scrolling apps that I know off. and I do use opera for HTML. This would be a killer app. I'd be willing to pay top donationCoder credits to whoever gets this done (if it's possible at all!).

rjbull:
smooth scrolling text reader on PC/Windows
-MerleOne (December 05, 2006, 05:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

There is/was one...  but it's DOS, from 1989!  PC Magazine's SMOOTH.COM, from before the days they started charging.  Obviously won't read (in the sense I think you mean) PDFs or HTML, though you could try reducing PDF to plain text with XPDF and HTML to plain text with {insert your choice of tag stripper here}  But then, being an old-time DOS person, that's the way I think...

f0dder:
It's perfectly possible to do even under windows, but it would require double-buffering (ie: don't draw directly to the visible surface, but draw to an off-screen surface and flip to visible when all drawing is done) - and it might require using DirectDraw (dunno if GDI bitblit is synced to refresh).

Ruffnekk:
I have been fiddling with GDI+ and DirectDraw, but getting a PDF file to show and scroll it smoothly is not a simple quest *G*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version