ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

What changes would you like to see on DonationCoder.com in 2007?

<< < (4/10) > >>

Byte:
I'd like to see a hardware section, personally.  I know it's donationCODER, but in order to code, don't you have to have hardware to code with, and on?

Just my $0.02 - I'd prolly be more active here if there were a dedicated hardware section.

app103:
Having all the hardware posts buried in the Living Room really isn't that good for finding what you want when you are looking to see if anybody has made any comments on something specific you are planning on purchasing.

It would have been nice to find this discussion before I made my decision. It would have been nice to hear what people had to say about it and see if they could have come up with better alternatives that would fit my requirements/budget.

Just adding a General Hardware Discussion section right under the General Software Discussion board would do the trick. It really wouldn't be changing the focus of the site...It would just make the info easier to find without having to sift through all the posts about flash games, cool websites, and other yummy distracting stuff.

Arjen:
I don't think there are topics that can't be discussed (like hardware, or whatever), but I think this site should not try to do everything. It should stay focussed on its "mission" (although not obsessively).

Some suggestions for improvements:

* Better/easier navigation. For example, why are Download, Bug tracker, Chat located next to forum functions like My Profile, and not at the top of the page?
* Cleaner layout of the site. Make a couple of sections. Don't put too many links on one page.
* Integrate the bug tracker accounts with the forum if possible. The bug tracker might deserve some more attention; people should submit their bugs there, not on the forum.
* Let users have their personal page (or extend profile) where they can post/list their articles, programs etc.

rjbull:
I'd like to see an option where I can be notified of an important post by the staff.
--- End quote ---

i like this idea too, and maybe a central page where the most important posts can be seen all together, regardless of section.
-mouser (December 19, 2006, 05:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Most of us already receive the short-form newsletter by e-mail.  Why not add "important posts," announcements etc. to it?

mouser:
One thing I would really like to see implemented on DonationCoder.com are some resources to help our regular members get some exposure for their websites and projects.

Maybe a special page where members can list their projects, or offer their computer-related services (web design, programming, art, etc.).

I am a bit reluctant to re-implement stuff that surely is done much better on other job posting sites, so we should think hard before doing anything elaborate.  It might simply be better to add stuff to just link to users profiles on another site.

Another idea: Rather than (or in addition to) putting google ad boxes on the site, we could show random boxes with info about member sites.

I think this internet of ours is becoming too much a matter of the giant businesses which are overflowing in money to buy publicity and attention, and then the rest of the population which can't get noticed.  I'd like DC to help out in it's own tiny way to bring some attention to projects created by normal people.  Anything we can do to advance that i'd be very interested in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version