ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

more fasting: No newly installed apps till 2007; limiting internet intake to 1h/

(1/2) > >>

urlwolf:
Hi,

I'm not getting some goals for this year, so I'm cutting down (again) on two things that take lots of time: finding and testing apps, and aimless browsing.

So I'm declaring some more fasting: No newly installed apps till 2007; limiting internet intake to 1h/day.

Let see how it works. I'll still look at the forum, but won't post much.

BTW, RSS feeds are an important time waster too. I have 67; do we need to read that much :) What is the proportion signal/noise? Is reading about productivity really paying off? :)

nudone:
i think i'll have to join you.

one hour a day messing about online (including email checking), to be done at a set time decided upon at the beginning of the day - so it could be first thing in the morning or spread out through the day for just a few minutes at a time - that's a bit of a cop out isn't it. whatever, i definitely need to limit it.

i don't install many apps these days so i don't have that problem - i just need to start using the computer as a tool again rather than a way of simply passing time.

(i never use rss feeds - i've never been a news junkie.)

anyway, good luck with it, urlfwolf.

Carol Haynes:
Hmmm - epiphany .... let me join the project too!

We could call it "get a life" and have numerous discussion threads in our own subforum to make sure that none of us spend more than an hour on line ... of course it will all be so interesting that we will need an extra hour a day just for these activities ;)

Deozaan:
1 hour? Yikes. What would I do with all that extra time?

app103:
1 hour? Yikes. What would I do with all that extra time?
-Deozaan (December 03, 2006, 10:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I propose writing something every day...either in notepad or a real hardcopy notebook....not necessarily something to be shared with the whole world, maybe just for yourself. And not necessarily even to keep. You could just write and close without saving.

What are you going to write about? Anything not related to your computer or anything you have read or done on a computer. Write about your outside offline life. Create poetry, stories, thoughts, feelings, etc. Just express yourself. Kind of like an old fashioned journal.

I know most aren't into keeping a journal, and some may say they can't or don't have the time, but the experience can be very beneficial, even if at some point you give it up.

You will quickly find out if you have a life or not...and the experience might just push you off the pc onto other things a bit more.

This is something I started doing a few weeks ago...and it has been an amazing journey of self discovery.

I have discovered exactly why this whole GOE thing has been a failure for me.

In the last assignment mouser mentioned there being something a bit "uncomfortable" about looking up from the here & now of daily activity and looking ahead to see if he was going in the right direction...defining goals, plans, dreams....and seeing if he is on the right track.

He is right.

I had the same experience...very early on in the whole thing, around weeks 2 & 3 when part of the assignment was to define serious goal tasks and give them a time table of a month, year, longer.

This was when I had to actually stop and think about my life, what I wanted, where I was going, how far I have come. Maybe I took it a bit too seriously. I don't know. But I didn't like it one bit.

It threw me into a fit of depression I haven't been able to get out of since. Something very unsettling about looking at something like this halfway through your life and realizing you have gone nowhere and are going nowhere and that you have no life.

My whole life as I knew it came to a screeching halt at the conscious realization of this and I just couldn't move forward.

When the week 9 assignment was posted and I saw what it was, I dropped out because I didn't want to face that again.

It wasn't till I decided to write something every day that things started moving again...very slowly.

In my writings I am discovering why I am where I am right now and what is holding me back. Before this, I thought I knew...pointed at things and placed blame. Now I am not so sure about what I have been blaming it on wasn't wrong...that it was really me that I should be blaming.

I am responsible for my own happiness, after all, right?

And I think that is the whole point to this entire GOE experiment....To get things done. What things? The things that lead you to happiness.

As soon as I can get myself going at a normal speed again, I plan on giving the entire GOE another go, from the beginning. I think the end results will be very different for me, next time, when I do.

At the very least, I now know where all the traps are and will be better prepared to mentally handle them.

Given the nature, content, and length of my reply, I wonder if I should allow this to qualify as my writing for the day?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version