ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Skwire Empire

Compressing files into multiple .zip archives with each .zip being independent

<< < (10/24) > >>

skwire:
I am sure this app wasn't meant to handle such a big size directories, but maybe with some minor changes it will.
-testgames (December 09, 2007, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Correct, I really didn't have such large directories in mind when creating the app.  You may be better off using a full-fledged archiving app for your purposes.  That being said, can you give me some details about the directories you're using?  You mention a 7GB folder. 

1) What sorts of sizes of files are we talking about here?  Biggest?  Smallest?

2) What sort of (sub)folder structure?  How many levels?  Path length?

3) What output mode are you using?

I usually test this app on my wife's family picture folder which currently has 3600 files comprising 2.75GB of space.   Granted, most of the files are fairly small on the scale of things (from a few hundred kilobytes to a couple of megs each).  I also test on my software archive folder which has many levels and all sorts of files and file sizes.

Ralf Maximus:
The .zip format has an upper limit of 2GB per file.  You can create spanning .zip files for larger jobs, but a tool like RAR is better suited for humungoid directories.

Lashiec:
Wasn't the limit 4 GB?

Forget about it, I just checked the WinRAR helpfile, and it's 2 GB. You can always use the Zip64 extension, though.

Ralf Maximus:
Nope, 2GB.  Pure .zip is an old standard, going back to the days when 2GB was bigger than any disk drive imaginable.  Who'd ever need more?

I imagine there are "enhanced" .zip supersets of the standard (7zip?) but if you're talking oldschool .zip, it's 2GB.

UPDATE: Goddamn it Lash, you're posting too fast!  :-)

skwire:
I imagine there are "enhanced" .zip supersets of the standard (7zip?) but if you're talking oldschool .zip, it's 2GB.
-Ralf Maximus (December 09, 2007, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oddly enough, I spoke to mouser the other day about giving the user the option to create .7z files (which supports 16000000000GB size files).  Sounds like it's time for me to implement that feature, eh?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version