ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Skwire Empire

Compressing files into multiple .zip archives with each .zip being independent

<< < (4/24) > >>

sri:
skwire:

1. I entered 8 in the Size field and all (almost) the resulting zip files are more than 8 MB in size. Pls chk the attached screenshot. Is this a bug? I think this will be fixed by being able to specify the size field in bytes and not in megs.

2. If the Output directory doesn't exist, even tho the prog says that zip files are generated, they aren't. Ideally the output directory has to be created if it doesn't exist.

3. Rename the program from Sri-zip to "SPinZip" (SP = Span, in = independently). That is, this is a program that generates spanned zip files that are independent of each other. 

4. What's the max. allowable value in Compression field?

skwire:
1. I entered 8 in the Size field and all (almost) the resulting zip files are more than 8 MB in size. Pls chk the attached screenshot. Is this a bug? I think this will be fixed by being able to specify the size field in bytes and not in megs.
--- End quote ---

No, it's not a bug; it's a by-product of the way the app works.  It goes through the list of files in the folder one-by-one (in order) and keeps track of the total size.  Once the amount goes over the value you entered, it zips those and the process repeats until there are no more files in the directory.  In other words, there is no magic algorithm going on that scans the whole folder and attempts to make perfect-sized zip files.

2. If the Output directory doesn't exist, even tho the prog says that zip files are generated, they aren't. Ideally the output directory has to be created if it doesn't exist.

--- End quote ---

Again, there is little to no error-checking implemented at this point; the GUI was more of a proof-of-concept for you.

3. Rename the program from Sri-zip to "SPinZip" (SP = Span, in = independently). That is, this is a program that generates spanned zip files that are independent of each other.

--- End quote ---

Can do.

4. What's the max. allowable value in Compression field?
--- End quote ---

Nine.

skwire:
Here's the latest version (v0.0.3) with some fairly comprehensive error-checking.  Let me know how it works for you.  Thanks.

sri:
Thanks sk. Works fine. Looks like you improved the compression logic. Now the generated zip files are all less than the max size that we enter in the program.

I blogged about this in my site.

http://www.sridhareena.com/2006/12/06/freeware-spinzip-compress-files-into-multiple-independent-zips/.

skwire:
You're welcome; I'm happy to help.  =]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version