ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

We're going to try something new with our software downloads

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
we can do a few things to address that.

first of all, the programs will not ever stop working - so you'll never be in a situation where a program you use suddenly stops working.
after some number of days you will have to come get a freeware license to prevent nag messages.

next, maybe we could make it so that you could uninstall and reinstall in order to reset the period.

third, it will be the explicit policy of this site that should for some unforseen reason the site dissapears, which will not ever happen since we are not going anywhere.  but i am happy to state clearly that should the site ever dissapear, all member keyfiles may be shared freely.  ie if site dies, anyone may put their legal licenses up on the web for everyone to use.  the keyfiles are not going to be tied to machine hardware or anything, so that is not going to be an issue.

i very much want this to be a good experience and a good thing - we have no desire to make the software harder to use or more of a pain - and it's important that the software remains freeware; im just trying to figure out a way to get downloaders to at least visit the site and take into consideration what we are trying to do, rather than just downloading by clicking an external link and never bothering to consider our ideas.

kfitting:
Fair enough.  I like your ideas there!

Kevin

mouser:
after a week of work i've finally got the first example of the new system.
read all about it and download newest Screenshot Captor w/ new licensing system here:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=713.0

if anyone is feeling adventurous and helpful, i'd love feedback on the new system, and i will try to make some super special licenses for anyone who helps test :)

mouser:
my column today discusses some of the issues about the new license key idea.
https://www.donationcoder.com/Columns/index.html

Carol Haynes:
there will be only one version of each program, the lastest version.  this includes early beta releases.
-mouser (July 28, 2005, 07:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

How about having a last stable version and current alpha/beta side by side. That way people can take their pick.

You are doing a great job at moving things along but software with lots of buttons as 'a work in progress' may put some people off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version