ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wireless Networking Guide

(1/2) > >>

lanux128:
introducing Magoo's Guide to Wireless Networking. a very useful resource for wi-fi newbie like me.. :up:

Carol Haynes:
Looks like good a useful basic info site - especially useful for WiFi first timers.

lanux128:
aye, i agree. this is site i referred to when helping a friend with some wi-fi configurations. btw, i'm still on cables.. ;)

OldElmerFudd:
aye, i agree. this is site i referred to when helping a friend with some wi-fi configurations. btw, i'm still on cables.. ;)
-lanux128 (November 27, 2006, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Trust me, I gave up on truly "wireless" when I tried to figure out how to network 5 computers, two printers, and a scanner! Let's just say "mostly wireless" is a pretty good solution, LOL!
At least the cables are short ....  :-[
OEF

Carol Haynes:
I was going that way too but I must say I have been converted by NetGear's wireless 802.11n (draft) solution once I got  things sorted out. It is 3 times faster than cabled home networks and they have sorted out the problems of range too (no more expander box to get upstairs). The only disadvantage is that the complete product line isn't there yet (i.e. there are no printer servers for the new draft standard yet and other network addons) but you can expand the network by using a couple of mains electric network adapters without slowing down the wireless network - I am thinking of doing this to add a set top box to my lounge TV so that I can stream video and music to my TV and HiFi set up.

The fast wireless speeds, MIMO and enhanced bandwidth is great and makes a real difference when more than one person is trying to surf the net. Plus it makes network storage a real possibility - though the Netgear SC101 solution is wired from the router and so limited to 100Mbps - but at least it doesn't affect the wireless traffic - and even copying whole DVD size files on the network doesn't degrade internet access speed etc. which is great (there is still 170Mbps or bandwidth left to be used even when file transfers are happening at full pelt).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version