topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I can't figure some things out in this program  (Read 11280 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can't figure some things out in this program
« on: October 14, 2006, 11:32 AM »
So, I've been using CHS for several months now, but to be honest, I'm having some trouble figuring certain things out.

--I pretty much only use CHS for the quickpaste feature, I don't use clipboard managers for anything else, really.  That being said, I like the items to remain in the quickpaste drop-down menu for a pretty long time.  But they keep disappearing.  I've unchecked all three of the "move to old after _ (hours,days)" automatic filing options.  However, the clips keep getting moved out of the quickpaste group.  If I could get them to last in there between system boots at the least, I'd be happy.

--Is there a way to disable the "default" items in the quickpaste (linebreak76,sentencecase, etc)?

Anyway, that's pretty much it.  If I could just get a handle around the quickpaste, it would be great.

Also, I don't know if it's just my computer, but the CHS icon rarely (less than 10% of the time) shows up in the system tray of my computer.  There is space there for the program, but the icon is almost always blank (see the attached pic).  This doesn't happen on my work computer.

Thanks

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I can't figure some things out in this program
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 11:38 AM »
I also support that the items should not disappear from the menu (although i can understand why they do and it doesn't affect me that much).

About the icon, though, that has never happened to me.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 11:40 AM »
if you check the "favorite" checkbox for a clip it should always appear in quick paste.

the sentence case type stuff are from the Text Formatting Presets (which you can add to by the way).
if you dont want them shown in Quick Paste menu, go to Quick Paste tab in options and in far right select "Dont Show" or "Show as submenu".

as far as missing icon, i've heard of this before but i guess i have to investigate a bit more.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 11:45 AM »
I pretty much only use CHS for the quickpaste feature, I don't use clipboard managers for anything else, really.
For those of you reading this thread that may be looking for more functionality, I highly recommend ClipMate.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 12:18 PM »
if you check the "favorite" checkbox for a clip it should always appear in quick paste.

the sentence case type stuff are from the Text Formatting Presets (which you can add to by the way).
if you dont want them shown in Quick Paste menu, go to Quick Paste tab in options and in far right select "Dont Show" or "Show as submenu".

as far as missing icon, i've heard of this before but i guess i have to investigate a bit more.
Is there a way for the items to remain in the quickpaste without having to check them as favorites?  Like, can it use something like the options for automatic filing where every certain number of days, the items would get cleared out of the quickpaste?

Thanks for the text formatting options, I can't believe I didn't see that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 12:32 PM »
open up the main CHS window, right click on Quick Paste group and say Edit this group

Look where it says:
(IsFavorite=true) OR (NOT (IsInRecyleBin) AND (ModificationDateTime>=DateTimeMinusOneHour))

This is what defines what clips qualify for quick paste.

So if you want clips to last longer, edit that line.  The Help box has more info if you scroll down.

You might try for example:
(IsFavorite=true) OR (NOT (IsInRecyleBin) AND (ModificationDateTime>=DateTimeMinusSevenDays))

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 05:07 PM »
open up the main CHS window, right click on Quick Paste group and say Edit this group

Look where it says:
(IsFavorite=true) OR (NOT (IsInRecyleBin) AND (ModificationDateTime>=DateTimeMinusOneHour))

This is what defines what clips qualify for quick paste.

So if you want clips to last longer, edit that line.  The Help box has more info if you scroll down.

You might try for example:
(IsFavorite=true) OR (NOT (IsInRecyleBin) AND (ModificationDateTime>=DateTimeMinusSevenDays))
Beautiful!  Thanks, that works great.  I set it to datetimeminusthirtydays.  Now everything is back!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 10:52 AM »
"(IsFavorite=true)" was missing from my Clip H&S
which left me very confused about function of favourites :D

all sorted now

Am i right in believing you can only read 1 to 9, & A to Z ?
So if you have older clips in there, they can't be seen.
Or I think the favourites go down the list (being older too)

So
I'm wondering is there a way to clear some of the Quickpaste items if it gets overfull AND if I dont want to delete them completely?
I thought i could move them to another "folder" but that doesent remove them either
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 05:55 PM »
I'm going to add some options for letting user have submenus for their favorites and better display favorites separately from quickpaste so that you wont run out of places for favorites.  putting on my todo list now.
maybe the best way to do it is let user select how many from history will show and then the rest will be favorites.

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 11:11 PM »
... add some options for letting user have submenus for their favorites and better display favorites separately from quickpaste so that you won't run out of places ...
I wouldn't make it too fancy.  Honestly, people don't want to see more than 26 items in their Quick Paste menu.  What they need to do is define the Quick Paste SQL search so less than 26 are in there in the first place.

Honestly, I didn't even realize you could do this until I read this thread.  Now that I know how to limit (control) the items in Quick Paste, I can probably adjust the SQL search criteria for just the items I really need.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 11:21 PM »
well the problem with it now is the it doesnt proper "separate" favorites from history, and just mixes them in.
i think it would be better to have a separator with favorite and recent clips segregated, and the option to have favorites in a submenus.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 02:10 PM »
... add some options for letting user have submenus for their favorites and better display favorites separately from quickpaste so that you won't run out of places ...
I wouldn't make it too fancy.  Honestly, people don't want to see more than 26 items in their Quick Paste menu.  What they need to do is define the Quick Paste SQL search so less than 26 are in there in the first place.

Honestly, I didn't even realize you could do this until I read this thread.  Now that I know how to limit (control) the items in Quick Paste, I can probably adjust the SQL search criteria for just the items I really need.

Hi all  :)

Just discovered you today; I've downloaded this to evaluate and so far first impressions are VERY impressive. Congratulations.  :up:

I'd love to see submenus - so I could have a submenu for email templates, then underneath that submenus for the various types of emails I send, with each template as a separate item.

Then the clips would be out of the way unless I wanted them.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 02:12 PM »
yep, thats exactly what i plan to add.  i think i've got enough CHS things to try to get an update in the next 5-10 days.

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
Solutions for structured e-mail templates
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 10:17 AM »
... have a submenu for email templates, then underneath that submenus for the various types of emails I send, with each template as a separate item.
For e-mail templates that are "structured" (ordered) and somewhat "static", The Form Letter Machine utility is a much better solution.  Go to mouser's zone here on DonationCoder and download it.

You can create a pull-down menu of structured trees (templates) from which to select from.  You can also create a pull-down menu of symbolic variables from which automatic variable substitution within these static structures can be made.  It's a much better solution for canned templates.

As Mouser also pointed out to me, you can include any XML/XHTML codes in your templates at well, so you can get quite fancy.

I'm using The Form Letter Machine for an events announcement list I moderate with very good success.  Now I thought about going hog wild and setting up an RSS newsfeed for this announcements digest as well.  That requires generating some XML and conditional assembly, in which case the Help & Manual application maybe better, but that's really an overkill in most cases.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 05:41 PM »
For e-mail templates that are "structured" (ordered) and somewhat "static", The Form Letter Machine utility is a much better solution.  Go to mouser's zone here on DonationCoder and download it.

You can create a pull-down menu of structured trees (templates) from which to select from.  You can also create a pull-down menu of symbolic variables from which automatic variable substitution within these static structures can be made.  It's a much better solution for canned templates.

As Mouser also pointed out to me, you can include any XML/XHTML codes in your templates at well, so you can get quite fancy.

I'm using The Form Letter Machine for an events announcement list I moderate with very good success.  Now I thought about going hog wild and setting up an RSS newsfeed for this announcements digest as well.  That requires generating some XML and conditional assembly, in which case the Help & Manual application maybe better, but that's really an overkill in most cases.

Thanks for the comment superticker - yes, I'm planning on using FLM too. But I'd still appreciate submenus - out of sight, out of mind - until I need the clips  :)