ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Agnitum Outpost 4 .... dumped

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Given that I am still in the process of reinstalling my system I thought it was about time I reinstalled Outpost and NOD32.

As I haven't had any previous Outpost versions I thought it would be worth having a bash at Outpost 4 again. Looking at Agnitum's website there have been a lot of new builds since the last time I tried it so I was expecting better things.

First thing I noticed was that my nippy/zippy machine suddenly turned into a slug - pages took ages to load and MSN Messenger (yes I know!) took forever to connect and generally timed out on the first couple of attempts. I was completely blitzed with prompts about SVCHOST (how the hell do you tell whether these net access demands are genuine or not?) - and these continued even after using it for a day, and after every reboot.

To cap it all I started getting random reboots - no errors, nothing logged just BAM restart ...

So to summarise - stable machine became unstable (random reboots), startup became extremely slow and tedious, browsing webpages slowed down to about 25% of the previous speed.

For now I have gone back to Windows Firewall - and I think I might just stay there since my router has a built in firewall too. I still have NOD32 running and I have installed AdMuncher and now my system is solid and fast again. Looks like I am back to the drawing board with firewalls - I certainly don't want the current incarnation of junk on my machine. What is really annoying is that I just renewed my subscription!

Anyone else experienced this?

PS. The Agnitum uninstaller leaves a lot of junk in the registry too - which is plain ridiculous given that it demands a reboot anyway - and you have to manually reactivate Windows Firewall.

AdIyhc:
Is MSN Messenger also Windows Live Messenger?
Some people have experienced problems with it too.

mouser:
ive been using Outpost 3 and have been very happy with it; tried 4 when it first came out and went back to 3.

Carol Haynes:
My other computer has version 3 loaded and it too suffers from incredibly slow startup times.

I was really quite shocked at the impact Outpost 4 had on startup and system performance - it was more than noticeable. I also didn't install it in maximum security mode - so heaven knows what it will be like if you want to beef it up to pass leaktests!

It is really strange but it feels like a completely different machine using Windows Firewall - I know it has shortcomings but I'm not sure it is worth the price to have Outpost installed.

superboyac:
Yeah, Carol, I'm with you here.  Every time I try Outpost (and it's been several tries) I get nothing but headaches.  Here's my post from a few days ago:
Ugh, I tried using Outpost again.  What a painful experience.  I don't know what it is, maybe it's interaction with Kaspersky or something, even though I read about how to make them coexist together properly.  Every time I try to use Outpost, it results in nothing but problems...slow internet, webpages not displaying, computer slowing down, computer working too hard, antivirus working too hard.  Geez.  I give up, I don't need this, do I?

Years ago, i used Zone Alarm and even though I got rid of it for the bloat, it's actual firewall functions never gave me any problems.  I'd train it a little in the beginning and that was it.  But then I tried Outpost because it was supposed to be better and lightweight, but it was a headache.  As I got better with computers, I keep trying it again like every year it seems like, and no luck.  I don't even think I need a firewall.
--- End quote ---
I've just decided to forget about firewalls for now, besides, my antivirus program has a firewall on it that I can turn on whenever I want to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version