topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Develop Your Own Game with the Nowhere Engine  (Read 4878 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Develop Your Own Game with the Nowhere Engine
« on: January 09, 2007, 12:51 PM »
Here's a game engine that you can try to see if you would like to use it to develop your own game.

After about 2 years of development of our own web MMORPG (http://www.nowhere-else.org) we decided to put parts of our game engine in the hands of nearly everybody. So we took our code, removed the look&feel of our game, removed parts which for the moment we believe should be available only in our online game, packaged every single file into a simple to install application which let you create your own worlds on your own PC or even create your very own web RPG online.

Our game engine will be delivered full of all the needed things to let you start right away, like an installer, a simple database, arts, and even a simple map with a simple quest to let you understand how you should proceed. But we didn't stopped here. We give you full access to the source code of the engine itself, which will let more advanced game developers modify the game engine or add their own content.

In order to let you start without investing a lot of money, we decided to deliver two standard packages. You may check the features on the table found on the left.

As we think it's always better to check before spending some money, even if it's only 50$, we suggest that you either play our game to have an idea of what a web MMORPG could look like, and/or try the demo of the game engine as you would have it running on your PC. To avoid problems, we have however disabled any save functionalities.

from http://www.gdse.com
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Develop Your Own Game with the Nowhere Engine
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 02:33 PM »
That looks pretty neat. I poked around a bit. It is a PHP web-based application. Looks like a great way to have an ongoing game with your own group of buddies.

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • RuffNekk's Crypto Pages
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 02:41 PM »
I remember I once started on writing a game engine like that and its a lot more work than I would expect. So 50 or even 200 dollars for the engine with source code is very well worth its money if you are serious about developing an online game. Great find!
Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:37 PM »
Maybe I should put up a donation page and if I hits $200 I'll buy it and build and host a DonationCoder MMORPG!

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • RuffNekk's Crypto Pages
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 01:48 AM »
We could do that together, or with a group of people!  :greenclp: Working in a team would surely produce something awesome with all knowledge bound together :)
Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 03:04 AM »
i'm in.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 03:10 AM »
I am always open to donating money (on behalf of dc member donations) to fun projects.