ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Run Dialog aliases

(1/2) > >>

Josh:
ok, here is an idea that I derived from FARR.

The idea is to create a program, which can be modified to add an indefinite list of aliases, which allows a user to enter an "Alias" for a program to run via Windows Start - Run prompt. So, for example, the user has an alias for the Filezilla FTP client, he enters into the program an alias such as "FZ" which when typed into the start - run prompt, launches the filezilla client.

I know this can be done by adding each application to the system path variable, but that gets sloppy when lots of folders are added, plus its not a good practice as is taught in the MCSE classes for system administrators.

I would like for the gui of this app to have a grid style view where you can see all existing defined aliases, sort them alphabetically, and quickly add/remove existing entries.

Would this be feasible?

Anyways, I am not sure how easy it is to do something like this, but perhaps someone here has an idea. Thanks in advance!

TucknDar:
I'm sure you can do this by adding aliases to the Win-registry... let me have a look at where they're supposed to be.

jgpaiva:
I had the most amazing program ever that did that. Looks like it's discontinued already, but you might still find it. It's name was "typeandrun". I was damn amazing!

Then, there's also slickrun, i think. Not as powerful, though. (imo)

lanux128:
i'm not a big fan of these tools because i can't remember all the cryptic name that i give to the shortcuts when i first create them. :) for me, farr is a better option.

but here's one such tool that configures the Run dialog shortcuts via GUI: Command Creator.

Ruffnekk:
I have been using my own solution to this for years:

1) Create a folder anywhere you like, with any name you like. I made mine in ‘My Documents’ called ‘QuickStart’.
2) Add the new folder to the path variable.
3) Create shortcuts to any commonly used applications or documents inside this folder and make sure the name of the shortcut is the command you want to use for it. For example, I made a shortcut to Visual Studio called ‘vs’. So when I execute the Start → Run dialog, I type ‘vs’ and the shortcut is executed because it’s in the path.

On top of that you can set all parameters like commandline arguments, working folders and Win95 compatibility emulation as well.

Very simple and no application needed  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version