ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

orbit downloader 1.0-the fastest free download manager.

<< < (5/9) > >>

Josh:
Hi,

I would like to add that Opera 9 incorporate a pretty decent downloader.  No need to have a special tools for this.  It evens accept bittorrent download !

-MerleOne (November 12, 2006, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Opera's BT support is far from the best thou, plus, what if I decide to move browsers? Can I take opera's d/l manager with me?

mouser:
Just an update for everyone:

We take very seriously the responsibility for being a reliable source of information for people - and making sure that people never install a malicious program from some recommendation on our site.

We welcome authors to post about their programs (especially in this section), and we have endeavored to solve this issue definitively rather than leave it as an open and unresolved issue  :up:

Anyway, after several of us investigated the program, we then spoke to the author in the chat channel (thanks to Zero3k for arranging this), and I feel fairly confident saying that this is not a malicious or spyware program. I would feel comfortable installing this on my pc.  It's very unfortunate for them that they picked a name "orbit" that is shared with a known spyware program, which is causing some false alarms.

The authors seem to me like good people, and they are genuinely interested in writing a free downloading tool.

As I understand it are workong on a kind of peer-to-peer addon which might eventually connect to their server and show information from their site in their program, like news, or current files available on the network, etc.  This is not spyware or even adware, in my opinion.  It's the same thing itunes and many other programs do.  If you don't want this, don't use it, but it's nothing evil.  As long as they are not installing any toolbars or hijacking the browser or sending information about your surfing habits to the server, etc., then there is nothing malicious or harmfull about the program.

After some discussion, i do think the authors are going to make some changes to clarify things and make the connection stuff optional, which should help allieve some of the concerns people have had.  They've also concluded that they should not have been so crazy with all of the posts they've made recommending the program.. i think it's just a case of them still learning the unspoken rules of the internet.

I've invited the authors to stop by and post and say hello - so hopefully we will hear from them as well.

As always, it is a good idea to be cautious and be careful about installing software - but i want to also remind people not to jump to conclusions and state that programs are malware until you know for sure, because such rumours spread rapidly and can be hard to overcome if you are a developer and they are unfounded.

lanux128:
i've been catching up with all the discussions in-between. i understand that in no way that the developers can be made responsible for something that is made on their behalf (referring to the 1st poster). even when i wrote my reply, it was to prevent the poster from getting on the wrong foot, thus creating a negative connotation of the software.

in any case, authors are welcome to post their views and explain the inner workings of their software.

orbitdev:
Hi all:

I'm the developer of Orbit downloader, Our official support email address is
< orbitdownloader  at  gmail.com >. Welcome for your suggestion.

1. orbitnet.exe is an optional program which uses the DHT p2p network to locate additional
  copies of the program you are downloading, much like torrent does,so that it can download
  pieces of the file from different servers and combine them, in order to speed up download.
  You can't disable it in current version, But in next version,you can disable it during
  installation & options menu.

2. We never install any toolbar/adware/spyware to system, We are contacting with the anti-virus vendor
to solve the mis-alarm problem.

3. Orbit Downloader have no relationship with adware "Orbit Explorer", Orbit name come from NASA's website,
 we think it is cool, and we do some google search to find it contain any adware/spyware before, but unfortunately, we doesn't find it.

4. Orbit Downloader was building from scratch, It have no relationship with FDM.

Thank for every advice. We want to do better, and don't be evil :(

Sincerely
Orbit Team

mouser:
I'm glad you took the time to post and welcome to the site; thank you for clearing up the misunderstandings.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version