ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

orbit downloader 1.0-the fastest free download manager.

<< < (3/9) > >>

Wordzilla:
ad-aware does not report anything..
-mouser (November 10, 2006, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Report from the latest Spyware Doctor:
(Windows Vista RC1, Orbit 1.0.0.2)

C:\Program Files\Orbit is where Orbit was installed, in this case.

mouser:
spybot finds nothing.

moby, your image above shows it is reporting english translation .ini files as malware??

another thing:
this program is reporting this as "xupiter" which it says ads an ad-based IE toolbar .  from testing orbit in a virtual pc i can say it does not do this.

if i had to guess i'd say these are false alarms based on the fact that the program puts a hook in internet explorer in order to catch and help with downloads.  that's just my initial guess though, im not confident enough to answer this for sure.  hopefully more people with more experience can report.

Zero3K:
Well, according to the support team, Orbitnet.exe (which is the p2p backend used to help speed up downloads) connects to a bunch of servers so it can be ready to help with the speeding up of them. Some of the servers it uses are in a subnet range with causes some Anti-Spyware programs to think that its communicating with DUDU.com (even though it isn't doing anything harmful).

mouser:
see this:
http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threatdisplay.aspx?name=Orbit%20Explorer&threatid=14913

it reports on a different but similarly named program called "Orbit Explorer" which i guess is spyware.

it seems to be extremely likely that "Orbit Downloader" above is being FALSELY reported by this program as spyware because the spyware scanner is falsely thinking it is "Orbit Explorer" which just tells me not to trust spyware doctor..

to summarize: we still don't know for sure, but it's looking to me like Orbit Downloader is not spyware/malware..  the investigation continues in the irc channel, we will continue to report updates! stay tuned!

mouser:
zero - i dont really understand the answer about speeding up stuff.
i'd still love to have the orbit downloader people tell us:
1) why does it connect to their server
2) what information does it send+receive

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version