ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

GETTING ORGANIZED EXPERIMENT - WEEK NINE ASSIGNMENT

<< < (3/4) > >>

nudone:
interesting idea, longrun.

please let us know how you get on with the subliminal messages. i know it will be hard to determine their effect but your subjective judgement will be interesting to hear.

longrun:
Actually, since I don't use the messages subliminally (they're on-screen for about 5 seconds) it's easy to tell if they're working. When the screen says "Am I doing what I should be doing" there are three possibilities: Yes, which is great; No, but the reminder gets me back on track; and No, and I go on wasting time.

tomos:
momonan,
think I need a bit of help here!

Step three: Identify four fundamental areas of your life: physical (vibrant health, exercise, good diet), social (development of key relationships), mental (keep current in our field, learning, growing), and spiritual (what’s important and meaningful, helping others, living for something higher than “self”).  Don’t neglect any of the areas.
--- End quote ---
* are you saying these are the fundamental areas (physical, etc) & we identify the important aspects within these areas, or do we identify our own fundamnetal areas ?   or something else ?!

Step four.  Identify the most important thing to do in each of these areas this week.  As a parent, it might be to spend some one-on-one time with your child.  As a spouse, it might be to go on a date with your husband or wife.  A job-related goal might be coaching a peer, working on something with the boss.  Your own development might be planning a personal retreat or working on a mission statement.
--- End quote ---
this seems to relate the goals to the roles chosen.
I'm still not sure where/how the "four fundamental areas of your life" come in to play ..
Write down the four fundamental areas of life that are in section 4
Think of one thing you can do (in one of your roles) this week in each of the four areas.
--- End quote ---
Okay, think i have it now! But question above* still valid

I'm a bit confused about the sequence of things but that's not a big deal.
I've listed my life roles,
I find the mission statement & the primary goals are needing a bit of thought in order to "evolve" (it's just so BIG!) but thats okay, -
& I find its already having a good influence in terms of I'm getting more creative projects back on the burner.

momonan:
@Tomos   In answer to your question about the fundamental areas covered in step three of the assignment:  According to Covey, there ARE four fundamental areas of human fulfillment (based on his reading of classic, philosophical, and inspirational literature).   His shorthand phrase for them is "live, love, learn, leave a legacy."  The need to live is physical (food, clothing, economic well-being, health).  The need to love is social (relate to other people, belong, be loved).  The need to learn is our mental need (to learn, develop, grow individually).  And the need to leave a legacy is what he calls -- although I don't love that term for it -- our spiritual need (in the sense of to be inspired, have a sense of meaning, purpose, help others, making a contribution).  So that's why we say "Don't neglect any of these areas."

I guess one way to look at these fundamental principles is as beacons for living a balance life.  They should guide your mission statement, inform your goals, and infuse your activities.  Each time we look over our TODO list for the day/week, or review and evaluate the past activities, we should ask ourselves if we have advanced ALL FOUR fundamental areas of our lives -- or are we out of balance by focusing on only one or two, at the expense of the others.

I apologize for the inartful way I organized the assignment, but hope this helps. It helped me, at least, since I don't think I really understood it either.:-[  I'm glad you asked the question

tomos:
"live, love, learn, leave a legacy."
--- End quote ---
perfect!

I guess one way to look at these fundamental principles is as beacons for living a balance life.  They should guide your mission statement, inform your goals, and infuse your activities.  Each time we look over our TODO list for the day/week, or review and evaluate the past activities, we should ask ourselves if we have advanced ALL FOUR fundamental areas of our lives -- or are we out of balance by focusing on only one or two, at the expense of the others.-momonan
--- End quote ---
thats very helpful,
things are a lot clearer now  :)

P.S. no apologies accepted - cause none needed!  :P
Who was it said - the best way to really learn something is to learn it & then to teach it!
Thanks again for your help, I'm finding this one very inspiring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version