ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best free firewall for Windows?

<< < (45/53) > >>

Innuendo:
Windows' firewall is very good at blocking incoming connections, but outgoing is a different story. It all depends on what the user needs.

I don't know if you need something completely free or if you are willing to pay something. What I do know is that if you need something to control outgoing connections if I were you I wouldn't consider anything other than Online Armor or Agnitum because last I heard those were the only two that could pass all leak tests.

Both companies have free versions of their firewalls and I think Agnitum is running a special right now selling lifetime licenses for their pay version of their firewall for a one-time price. I've never used Online Armor, but I can tell you that Agnitum's offering can let you be as paranoid and/or as granular with your permissions as you could ever want.

I hope this thread has helped you with your question.

EDIT: I missed in your original post where you say this is for home office use. Most freeware offerings don't allow use in commercial environments so be sure to check the EULAs if legal use is a concern for you.

kartal:
Hi

Thanks for suggestions. I will then definetely check out Agnitum and Online Armour. I am fine with paying for app, I just can not spend too much.  So special deals are always welcomed here.

Tuxman:
There is no "best firewall for Windows". Packet filters don't really make sense. An application which is intended to protect your system against attacks from outside can N E V E R work when it works on the computer you want to protect.

Don't use that stuff. It doesn't make sense at all.

kartal:
Tuxman

How about linux ? I am also thinking to turn my laptop into a firewall with internet sharing. Would that be a good solution?

Actually one of the things I am really wanting is to see which application is trying to connect outside. I think most of these windows firewalls show that. Is there such thing under linux? I bet there is but something with a decent gui which is what I am interested in.

Tuxman:
I am also thinking to turn my laptop into a firewall with internet sharing. Would that be a good solution?-kartal (October 24, 2009, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
If it only works as a firewall and any other internet devices are behind it: Yep. That's how a firewall works.

Actually one of the things I am really wanting is to see which application is trying to connect outside.-kartal (October 24, 2009, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Trojans and worms usually run on your user account. What should keep them away from registering themselves in your "firewall" software?
Another thing that can't be solved this way... for that, I'd recommend TcpView (sysinternals.com) or similar software. Port blockers are not made for that.

I think most of these windows firewalls show that.-kartal (October 24, 2009, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
There is no Windows firewall.

Is there such thing under linux?-kartal (October 24, 2009, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't actually hope so. Linux users don't tend to install anything anyone says of it's great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version