ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Top banner weight

(1/2) > >>

Mark0:
I just noticed that the (beautyful!) top banner is an over 80KB PNG:

Isn't that a bit too much? I checked because I noticed it downloading when going to the homepage. I had probably cleaned the web cache, and saw it appearing nearly row-by-row.

So, I tried to come up with a couple of more lighter JPEG versions, without sacrificing too much quality:

(30KB)
(20KB)

What do you think?

Bye!

mouser:
very good point, it makes sense to me and 80k is a bit heavy.  anyone else want to take a shot at optimizing? the 20k one looks a bit too noisy to me but i could live with the 30k one, and i lthink it looks nice a little lighter.

Mark0:
Same for the forum top banner. The orginal PNG is about 34KB:

JPEG version:

(10KB)

Bye!

app103:
There seems to be a color difference between the original and your compressed versions.

I tried it myself and came up with this at 10% compression:

34kb

14kb

Can't really go higher than 10% or there is a noticeable difference in quality. (noticeable to me at least)

vegas:
Maybe a preference in board settings for each person, if they don't want to see big banners.  ;)  The smaller the better for me, more read space without having to scroll.  So reply #2 is my fav ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version