ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

anyone tried i.Scribe email client?

<< < (2/3) > >>

ad-min:
I tried to use iScribe (last time 1-2 months ago) but I couldn't make it to work with my Gmail account.
-muntealb (September 23, 2007, 03:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had no problems with Gmail, I just used this tutorial:
http://www.memecode.com/scribe/tutorials/gmail/

So I searched for another free e-mail client and found Koma-Mail, that works with Gmail (and Hotmail). It has Unicode support and its interface can be translated, two things that I search nowadays in any application. It doesn't need to be installed, because it is portable (comes as a zip archive). It has also a spam filter and other useful features.
-muntealb (September 23, 2007, 03:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think InScribe does have all of these features. It's portable, cross-platform, multi-language, has a built in bayesian spam filter, and and and...

muntealb:
I used the Gmail tutorial (that didn't exist when i last checked Iscribe) to configure my Gmail account for Iscribe 1.89 Test21 and it didn't work. The main problem is the fact that my password is not remembered by the program. I type my password in the Send and Receive tabs of Account Properties and then click the OK button on the bottom. Then if I open again the two tabs the password is gone (there are no asterisks), even if i check "remember password".

Iscribe does have also a big problem with Large Fonts (120 p - the setting that I use in Windows), because many text strings in the options panels are clipped. Also I cannot change the font that I use to write messages. I would prefer to use Arial with Central European script, but Iscribe does not offer the option to change the font. So I cannot write in romanian because Iscribe doesn't support Unicode.

I haven't checked InScribe because it has probably the same problems as IScribe.

By contrast Koma-Mail works without problems, I can change the fonts, use multiple accounts, write in romanian using Unicode, filter the mails, use a simple calendar, etc. and all these for free.

It may be ironic, but Iscribe was my main choice when I searched some months ago for a replacement to Outlook Express (Windows Mail). Although OE and WM are good programs I prefer to use software in romanian and the official translations of OE and WM are awful. Microsoft used translation software (probably LocStudio, their in-house product) to translate Windows XP and Vista in romanian and the result is a robotic dialect, not romanian, as someone could expect from a translation made by a program, not a human being. It is as if someone used Babelfish or Google Translator to translate the interface of a software and then say that it is a good translation. The romanian translations of Windows XP and Vista were not even checked by professional translators, so using the official translations of these operating systems is a (linguistic) pain. So I searched for an e-mail client and considered translating Iscribe, but the fact that it could not check my Gmail account made me to search another e-mail software. Then I found Koma-Mail and it does everything I need and it is free.

ad-min:
I type my password in the Send and Receive tabs of Account Properties and then click the OK button on the bottom. Then if I open again the two tabs the password is gone (there are no asterisks), even if i check "remember password".
-muntealb (September 23, 2007, 07:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it really would be better to hide the password by displaying asterisks. But my version of the program remembers the password and everything works fine.

Then I found Koma-Mail and it does everything I need and it is free.
--- End quote ---

Great that you have found a tool which fulfills all your needs. It seems to be another very good progam and I will give it a try!  :)

tomos:
Koma-Mail looks interesting

Some other interesting stuff there too
http://www.koma-code.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=39
Software
Alarm Timer
Command Line
CPU-Control
DevWiz
eBoard
Koma-Mail
Help file
Miri's Recipies
SC-Tool
Scan2PDF
Shutdown Tool
Snow-IRC
TableCalc
USB-ToolBox 2
Win-Control

fret:
I used the Gmail tutorial (that didn't exist when i last checked Iscribe) to configure my Gmail account for Iscribe 1.89 Test21 and it didn't work.
--- End quote ---

Did you install the SSL dll's?

What error did you get in the log? (Status -> click Gmail account -> Log)

The main problem is the fact that my password is not remembered by the program. I type my password in the Send and Receive tabs of Account Properties and then click the OK button on the bottom. Then if I open again the two tabs the password is gone (there are no asterisks), even if i check "remember password".

--- End quote ---

Scribe stores the password, but doesn't put the *****'s in because other application can read whats behind the asterisks. Thus it's not secure. Scribe tries to keep your passwords safe from spying apps. It does remember and use the passwords as requested.

Iscribe does have also a big problem with Large Fonts (120 p - the setting that I use in Windows), because many text strings in the options panels are clipped.

--- End quote ---

This is still somewhat a problem in the current version, but MOST of the settings are now font sensitive, meaning that they resize to fit the text size. Which version did you try?

Also I cannot change the font that I use to write messages. I would prefer to use Arial with Central European script, but Iscribe does not offer the option to change the font.

--- End quote ---

The setting is in File -> Options -> Appearance -> Editor. Maybe it needs to be somewhere else?

So I cannot write in romanian because Iscribe doesn't support Unicode.

--- End quote ---

The current build is completely UTF-8 (Unicode) internally. Maybe you had trouble inputing characters into the editor? It supports the windows IME for far eastern input like Chinese and Japanese and normal unicode input for East/Western European languages. You don't need to select any special font, just type the characters in and it'll work out how to send the message correctly.

I haven't checked InScribe because it has probably the same problems as IScribe.

--- End quote ---

Yes, all the same problems :)

So I searched for an e-mail client and considered translating Iscribe, but the fact that it could not check my Gmail account made me to search another e-mail software.

--- End quote ---

Currently there are 22 translations of i.Scribe, included a number of european ones, e.g. Czech, Turkish, Lithuanian, German, Hungarian, Dutch, Serbian and Polish. And translators get a free copy of InScribe.

There is also an active bug database and forum for users... they probably could have sorted out the Gmail/SSL issue if you had posted there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version