ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mobo dying .... suggestions please on upgrading my system ...

<< < (5/15) > >>

dk70:
No, Asrock is not more powerhungry because it supports AGP. One or the other. Also it use 20pin + 4pin not 24 pin. Since you will recycle video card and new cpu has good mileage I would guess you can get away with old power supply. Motherboard only use passive cooler for chipset - might indicate it does not consume that much. Cpu, videocard is what matters the most anyway so you should be safe. No gurantee just because pure specs says load is about the same. Depends on how psu is designed. If psu cant handle this setup new will be needed no matter hardware = nothing lost in trying.

Remember DX10 so resist getting expensive DX9 card today. Another reason you should take advantage of being happy with what you got - on new motherboard. There might be equally cheap or better alternatives for this if you buy pci-e card but for budget upgrading you are stuck with Asrock :)

Speed increases speak very much against replacing what is broken with old stuff - you will notice.

New AM2 or better Intel duo beast definitely require new power supply plus new memory - and new video card. So a different budget. 939 socket like this is best option to keep some money left.  Seems they just dumped Asrock motherboard on that shop but total price must be around 100£. Can get it in other shop, very popular model I think. Compare.

If you consider this option state what video card you have. I would not be surprised if there are some compatibility issues with either AGP or PCI-E - or both! This can be found out before purchase. Real life users know more than a page full of review links.

Carol Haynes:
DX10 doesn't really interest me as you will need VISTA and I have no intention of upgrading to VISTA (even if they give me a free copy).

Unfortunately Overclockers have sold out of that ASRock mobo and looking at other sites it appears to be discontinued !

Carol Haynes:
Just browsing around anyone seen this:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/th2go/home.php

looks kind of neat

(not relevant for my needs but you know the way it is easy to get distracted)

dk70:
When not thinking about money it sure is. Well yes, looks like the "old" popular 939Dual-SATA is on its way out but replaced by 939Dual-VSTA where VSTA stands for you know what. http://forums.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=260e0a3f92ea9a642ba10fff12633433&t=54129 also links to the most active Asrock forum. A few improvements perhaps, basically same product. That forum is where you look up "issues". I doubt VSTA is discontinued though those UK sites I checked seems to focus on new AM2/DDR2 motherboards.

Asus have this with AGP support http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=224&model=743&modelmenu=2 I would much prefer Asrock. Got to be available somewhere. 

Even without DX10 requirement new All-in-Wonder will kill budget. Also have to be careful about power supply - some motherboards more or less require 24 pin, a few dont suppport anything else. 20->24pin converter might work. I would put some money on Asrock being happy with current psu providing you keep AGP video card.

Carol Haynes:
Found one on eBay - not too sure about risking eBay for this sort of thing though!

The ASUS board is a bit limiting - only 2 PCI cards ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version