ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

as a web developer, which would you choose: xampp -vs- easyvmx

(1/1)

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
Which would be the better (faster, efficient, least resources) choice?!

I am a budding web developer.
Mostly xhtml + css, with little php.
For over a year now, I have been using XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html)
I've tested and launched my own site blog many times over. Tested WordPress, Text Pattern, NucleusCMS, sBlog, and just a few months ago, started using ExpressionEngine (which is what I use now for my domain).
Testing off line makes things so much easier!

Just the other day, I came across EasyVMX(http://www.easyvmx.com/index.shtml) and I used that to re-install my Windows XP Pro. I was just amazed!
I've only ever read about virtual machines, and using them to test software and OS installations, but I never though it would be so easy!

So now, I'd like some advise from some serious software freaks.
Which would be the better alternative (fun) coding environment: xampp or vm?

I've had Ubuntu installed before, I loved it. But I had to migrate back to Windows as all my software collection is ... well, windows based. I'd like to tinker with Damn Small Linux, or go back to Ubuntu.
I won't be able to share a windows directory, but figured that whatever files I create in Windows that I need to share with my linux, I can just FTP to my server via Filezilla and download with Linux (right?).

hhmm ... oh what a pickle coders.

jgpaiva:
Just an heads-up: Please don't forget the usual option: "don't know / don't care" ;)

UPDATE:
running Damn Small Linux 3.0.1
screen shot = 1280x1024

as a web developer, which would you choose: xampp -vs- easyvmx

Kinda neat.
Just messing around right now. Enjoying the possibilities :)

mouser:
virtual machines like vmware are ideal for testing stuff, but i wouldn't want to have a live website running on one on a personal pc, for performance reasons.

virtual machines like vmware are ideal for testing stuff, but i wouldn't want to have a live website running on one on a personal pc, for performance reasons.
-mouser (October 28, 2006, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
nor would xampp be ideal for running a production site.
as i mentioned, i use it for testing offline, then i move everything over.
files and databases.
thats how i learned the expression engine tags.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version