ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Utility to rename taskbar buttons/window titles?

(1/3) > >>

Dirhael:
Thought I'd ask this question here as well, seeing as there are a lot of knowledgeable people here :) Ever encountered software that insists on putting their application title in front of any open files / folders you might have? I have, and it frustrates me to no end. I know what applications I'm using, so there is absolutely no reason to keep reminding me at the expense of usability. What happens is that when you're having several copies of the same software open, there is no good way to distinguish them from each other.

My question then becomes, are there any utilities that will let me rename those taskbar buttons and window titles? I would prefer if I could make changes in a more permanent way by associate the changes with the window class or filename, but a less advanced method would also be a good start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

jgpaiva:
Well.... I don't know any app that can do this. That doesn't mean it can't be done, though... ;)

Dirhael:
Well.... I don't know any app that can do this. That doesn't mean it can't be done, though... ;)
-jgpaiva (October 27, 2006, 10:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

hehe, yeah... I seem to recall a harmless trojan once upon a time that allowed you to rename the taskbar buttons & window titles to your liking. Was fun using that to mess with a flatmate, but I don't think I'd want to install a virus just to achieve what I'm looking for ;)

tim254:
I know Actual Windows Manager can change the Caption of a window on Startup.

http://www.actualtools.com/

Dirhael:
I know Actual Windows Manager can change the Caption of a window on Startup.

http://www.actualtools.com/

-tim254 (October 27, 2006, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, that's almost exactly what I was looking for! :) It does seem to be slightly overkill for my needs, but who knows, I may need the other features later on..

EDIT: I think I spoke to soon. While it's close to what I needed, it doesn't allow me to just strip out parts of the window titles. Let's take a example of what I mean, Notepad++ names its windows this way: "Notepad++ - C:\Path\To\File.txt"
The problem with renaming the entire window title is that I'll have no idea what files are open, so I'm pretty much not any closer to a solution than I was :( Thanks for the help anyway though!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version