ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Auto-complete Intelli-sense type utility ?

<< < (4/11) > >>

nagar:
Hello everybody. My name is Andrea Nagar and I'm the author of Direct Access.
I was pointed to this forum by tim.
I'm pleased that my software had been mentioned along with Activewords and Autohotkey.

I appreciate your comments and the issues with deleting commands that Darwin mentioned will be fixed in v.1.2 (which is due by the end of the week). Performance have also improved. We are working to reduce the memory footprint too. If you like you can download an unofficial version at http://www.nagarsoft.com/download/DirectAccessUnofficial.exe

I like Autohotkey very much and I'm using it myself to automate certain operations. It has very powerful scripting language. This is an advantage but also a disadvantage: you have to write the script!
 Direct Access allows you to setup things from a graphical interface and easily add new textsnippets or applications (dragging them on the Hub, the orange ball). It automatically compiles your program description and command.

Many new features are in the making to make things even easier and more straightforward and reducing the time needed to manually customize Direct Access is one of our top priority.

Direct Access shows a confirmation tooltip when the command is typed. This avoids accidental executions that happen when an abbreviation is executed any time you press space (I suggest that you set F1...F12 or any cursor key as the confirmation key).

I read Darwin wrote "Thus, if you type the command incorrectly, you won't see that dialogue popup...". What do you mean? What behaviour would you expect?

I'd like to share a little tip for remembering the names of the commands: use the first letters of the application name. Calculator will be calc, Excel exc and so on. If you have, for example a project file and a folder with the same name, add a suffix. For example, proj will open your VS project,  projd will open the associated folder.

You can also assign a command to a group that, when executed will show you a list of all the actions it contains.

If you have any questions, I'll be pleased to answer here or directly to my mail address.
Thanks everybody for the useful comments you posted here.

Andrea

Darwin:
Welcome Andrea! Sorry I haven't dropped you a private e-mail listing my observations about DirectAccess. Despite my "complaints" above, I love the look and feel of DA and its speed. As I've said above, it shows great promise and is very impressive or a piece of software that's only been in the wild for a few months. I wouldn't have purchased a license had I not been confident that the issues that I've seen will be addressed in future builds. I'll take a look at the unofficial version.

To address your question: "I read Darwin wrote "Thus, if you type the command incorrectly, you won't see that dialogue popup...". What do you mean? What behaviour would you expect?". Essentially, on this thread] a couple of comments were made to the effect that AW does not offer a warning to indicate that a command hasn't been entered correctly. I was pointing out that via the confirmation tooltip (my "dialogue pop-up") in both AW and DA NOT appearing, the user is alerted to the fact that they haven't entered the command correctly.

Darwin:
Wow! Andrea - you've tamed the beast! I've had DA running for about 20 minutes and have been working with it and Outlook, Excel, and Maxthon and it's footprint is very small (12,748K at the moment). I'll keep monitoring, but looking good right now!

Darwin:
The other great thing is that maximizing the program by double clicking on the system tray icon or the Direct Access Hub and then closing it releases the memory - its usage drops to 3164K... Very nice.

Just to add - DA has now been rock solid at 6940K for about 10 minutes...

nagar:
Hi there.
thanks for your feedback. I thought about autocompletion. I believe that can be done in the action pad (the slickrun way). It's on my todo for the next version (a lot of people seem to be interested in that).

I just release v.1.2 today that you can download at http://www.nagarsoft.com

It's mainly a bug fix (but important one). In particular, it fixes the problems most users had with other applications. Now Direct Access doesn't interfere with ALT and CTRL keypresses in other programs. Now multimonitor configurations are supported. You can see a list of the fixes at http://www.nagarsoft.com/VersionHistory.aspx

I'd be happy to receive feedback. What are the things you would like to see in the next version? What are the operations in your daily work that you would like to automate?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version