ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

GETTING ORGANIZED EXPERIMENT - WEEK SEVEN ASSIGNMENT

<< < (2/3) > >>

app103:
This is just the area of my life that is the most mess and I have been trying to apply all the GOE stuff presented thus far, to it, with no success....as a matter of fact it made a bigger mess out of me.

This might be just what I need.

Now excuse me...I have a sudden urge to go wash dishes*.   :o

*That is very out of character for me. I HATE doing dishes!

tomos:
Like this:

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin –– real life.  But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid, then life would begin.  At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."
--- End quote ---

and this:

helping ... meet the basic human needs for safety, self-maintenance, security, and self-esteem, as well as a sense of belonging to a family or group
--- End quote ---
off to look at a couple of those sites ..

brownstudy:
Thanks for bringing in the flylady! It caused me to think of how I use Mark Forster's Will-Do list (which I have printed out and sitting up in a document holder on my desk -- I can always see it).

I found I have a different mindset at home than I do at work, and that I wasn't really implementing the Do It Tomorrow steps as well when it came to personal stuff.

But the Flylady's idea of "keep your sink clean" made me think that my home office equivalent would be "keep my desk clean." Alternatively, "keep my inbox clean."

So the first two items on my Will-Do list are:
* Is my desk clean?
* Is my inbox empty?

If I answer NO to these questions, then I need to do the minimum to get them clean/processed. For me, this is mainly putting away papers from work, books I've piled on the desk that should be on the shelf, etc. Little stuff, but little stuff that just nags at me when it accumulates.

One of my gnarly issues is that stuff lingers in the inbox, so just asking myself these questions kicks off a really quite brief clean-up spree. With the desk and inbox stuff managed, I move on to the rest of my Will-do list, which for the record is:

* Current initiative
* Task diary
* Review PBWiki projects list (aka David Allen's Projects list)
* What's happening tomorrow?

Sometimes I only work on one thing if I feel that's the thing I need to focus on. Other nights, I say "screw it" and putter on the web. Other times, I use a timer to help me process a stack of myriad items. I go with my intuition based on what's going on with my life.

But for me, the desk and the inbox have to be clean and it's a painless routine.

tomos:
Ha,
Brownstudy got there before me -

I have a similar story:
I have found the "clean you sink" - or whatever - the reminder-emails, well, i find they remind me to think -
what am I doing ?
should i be doing something else ?  :)  etc.

Then the baby steps idea i find very helpful - including the caring tone -
much better than me thinking- god, i should have that done by now & what about the other, god, i'll never get this all done (Tom's Conversations with God  :) )

With the help of Flylady I've also so far:

* started keeping a daily journal (re GOE but including anything i want to write about)
* got a clean sink - not polished but clean is good too!
* & yeah, started working a bit better again
Also think not implementing too much at any one time is a good idea.

Re an action routine that you try to implement for 28 days, I'm still a bit fuzzy.
I want to implement that I do the "boring" aspect of my work say X number of hours per day, or (X by 5) hours per week.
I think it wasnt intended for this use but I'll try it anyways ...

One entertaining thing i find about the Flylady mails is that the reminder to go to bed arrives here (GMT+1) after 5 in the morning  ;D 
off surfing tonight

Cant get rid of these list thingies ->[/list][/list][/list]

app103:
ok...it has been 8 days...

My sink still isn't completely empty, but it's getting there.

The email reminders do make you think about what you could be doing, instead of the time wasting you are currently doing, when the little email popups appear on the screen when another of the FlyLady mails comes in.

My microwave counter is clean...and so is the microwave, inside & out.

Cleaned the outside of the fridge too...and my daughter had a burst of nervous energy the other night because her friend who is having a baby went into labor (or so she thought...turned out to be a false alarm). She ended up partially cleaning the inside.

There is a problem though...

I am falling behind with keeping up with the forum...and my email...and projects @pc are not going anywhere.

I know I am definitely not super woman, but I can't figure out wtf I am doing wrong.

I am happy about the accomplishments in the kitchen, but not at the expense of everything else...and it can't be the time I spend in the kitchen that is causing me to fall behind in everything else, because I am not in the kitchen all that much.

That's what I don't understand about myself. I seem to be lacking the ability to focus....or even care...almost like I am starting to lose interest in everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version