ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

have you tried mind maps?

<< < (3/3)

app103:
I suppose some of my use of digital sticky notes (Notezilla) could be considered a more freeform style of mind mapping. I consider it the external hard drive and backup system for my brain.

I can sort them in columns, rows, stack them, overlap them, sort them into folders, color code them, insert links, images, etc.

What I really like about doing it with sticky notes is that they are very easy to rearrange and I am not locked into one way of doing it.

Best part is when working on tasks, I can pull one out, isolate it, slap it right on my desktop till I finish, then either archive it or trash it, as needed. I can change the color of the note to gray & transparent to indicate it's done.

To remind me to stay on schedule, I can set an alarm on a note and even set it to open a file or application I am going to need at that moment to do that task. Those alarms really help me get things done.

J-Mac:
I suppose some of my use of digital sticky notes (Notezilla) could be considered a more freeform style of mind mapping. I consider it the external hard drive and backup system for my brain.

I can sort them in columns, rows, stack them, overlap them, sort them into folders, color code them, insert links, images, etc.

What I really like about doing it with sticky notes is that they are very easy to rearrange and I am not locked into one way of doing it.

Best part is when working on tasks, I can pull one out, isolate it, slap it right on my desktop till I finish, then either archive it or trash it, as needed. I can change the color of the note to gray & transparent to indicate it's done.

To remind me to stay on schedule, I can set an alarm on a note and even set it to open a file or application I am going to need at that moment to do that task. Those alarms really help me get things done.
-app103 (March 01, 2010, 10:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo! I have a gazillion notes and other apps that have reminders but I also find that sticky notes (also using Notezilla) are the only thing that really grab my attention.

Thanks!

Jim

Antonimo:
Been using FreeMind for many years. In my opinion it is most useful for organizing information. I almost always use FreeMind to plan projects and take notes.

With a short learning curve, FreeMind offers advanced attributes and notes to each entry (node) as well as calendar and scheduling.

Furthermore, there are a number of excellent import / export filters.

The Mind Maps themselves are stored in an XML format meaning that the data is not hidden inside an impenetrable proprietary file format.

It is also very easy to search within MindMaps across folders using the FreeMind Search tool.

iphigenie:
Been using commercial product ConceptDraw - their mindmap and project tools are linked, so you can break down an idea in the mindmapping tool, with notes, estimates, whatever - then switch to the project view and see it as a gantt chart, add dependencies, assign resources - and go back and forth.

The project tool is not a full blown PM app, but the seamless switch between map and charts is a great way to keep things updated, communicate and discuss etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version