ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Unfinished Requests

EXISTS - IDEA: Regular Expression Helper

<< < (3/6) > >>

Scott:
What I had in mind was a simple, wizard-driven utility that does what FileLocator Pro offers--a really easy way to build regexs.  None of the applications mentioned here do that.  Or, if they do, they're certainly not as user friendly.

I don't see how this idea "exists".  If I missed something, I'd love for someone to point it out to me.

mouser:
but whatever problem I have with regex (perl specifically) I can also extend to figuring out how to get regex buddy to produce useful results.
--- End quote ---

hahahahahaha
i hear ya.

mouser:
it sure seems like from the pictures that expresso is designed to help you build regular expressions by assembling them from nice easy to use dialogs..

the EXISTS flag on the post was just meant to indicate that this probably isn't a coding snack; even if these particular programs aren't perfect, its probably too big a task for a coding snack anyway and there are surely more such apps out there waiting to be discovered.

but i can remove the EXISTS thing if you want, nothing is set in stone.

dajo:
I use Regex Coach (free) to help me with tough regular expressions.
http://www.weitz.de/regex-coach/

The Regex Coach is a graphical application for Linux and Windows which can be used to experiment with (Perl-compatible) regular expressions interactively. It has the following features:

* It shows whether a regular expression matches a particular target string.
    * It can also show which parts of the target string correspond to captured register groups or to arbitrary parts of the regular expression.
    * It can "walk" through the target string one match at a time.
    * It can simulate Perl's split and s/// (substitution) operators.
    * It tries to describe the regular expression in plain English.
    * It can show a graphical representation of the regular expression's parse tree.
    * It can single-step through the matching process as performed by the regex engine.
    * Everything happens in "real time", i.e. as soon as you make a change somewhere in the application all other parts are instantly updated.

mouser:
that is awesome...
this is why you have to love this section

nice find.

ps. program is donationware and written in.. LISP(!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version