ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

12 Windows Explorer Alternatives Compared

<< < (16/17) > >>

lanux128:
Servant Salamander - Absolutely no support for unicode. It won't even let you launch files with unicode names from it! Useless for me and many others. They have been promising unicode support for what seems like forever now, but nothing has happened yet. ...-Dirhael (July 29, 2007, 05:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

dirhael: 1st of all, i agree that Salamander's dev team have progressed very cautiously (about 10 years to move from version 1.52 to 2.5  :o) but to be fair they have a whole page in their help file dedicated to explaining and using workarounds in the mean time.. :)

Unfortunately, Unicode is not supported in Altap Salamander 2.5. We plan to support it in feature versions. Now we will describe how to deal with foreign names of files and directories. If you didn't encounter problems with names of files and directories, you can skip reading of this chapter. ...-the help file
--- End quote ---

Dirhael:
... Really appreciate you looking into such a insignificant problem, I don't think many other developers would have taken the time :)
-Dirhael (July 30, 2007, 04:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
A crash is not insignificant to me. Hey, I'm a developer with an attitude! ;)
-DonL (July 30, 2007, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hehe, good to hear :D I'm back from my vacation now, so as soon as I'm done uploading the archive of gif's to my server, I'll send you a mail with the link and some more detailed tests I just did to verify that the problem still exists even with the latest version.

Dirhael:
Servant Salamander - Absolutely no support for unicode. It won't even let you launch files with unicode names from it! Useless for me and many others. They have been promising unicode support for what seems like forever now, but nothing has happened yet. ...-Dirhael (July 29, 2007, 05:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

dirhael: 1st of all, i agree that Salamander's dev team have progressed very cautiously (about 10 years to move from version 1.52 to 2.5  :o) but to be fair they have a whole page in their help file dedicated to explaining and using workarounds in the mean time.. :)

Unfortunately, Unicode is not supported in Altap Salamander 2.5. We plan to support it in feature versions. Now we will describe how to deal with foreign names of files and directories. If you didn't encounter problems with names of files and directories, you can skip reading of this chapter. ...-the help file
--- End quote ---
-lanux128 (July 30, 2007, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's true that they do have such a page, but unfortunately none of the methods they list is a proper workaround. In fact, none of the methods would help me at all as I need more than one Asian fallback language at any one time, and using Windows Explorer is most definitely not an option.
Let's just wait and see what happens with the future releases instead :)

DonL:
I do know of a sure fool-proof way to make it crash though...
-Dirhael (July 29, 2007, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Can't reproduce. I'm using thumbnails on huge folders with small image files since years without any crash. Maybe one of your tile files makes trouble? You can send them to me in a zip (if that's okay).

Donald (XY's author)
-DonL (July 30, 2007, 03:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Absolutely, I'll send them to you when I get back from my vacation. I should clarify though, this problem only happens if the images are GIF's. I have never encountered the problem with jpeg's and png's. Really appreciate you looking into such a insignificant problem, I don't think many other developers would have taken the time :)
--- End quote ---
My intuition was correct (but you could not find it as easily as I can from here): It is *one* pic that is truncated and throws XYplorer out of the tracks: wp_floral_931.gif

I did not fix the image but I fixed the crash. The next version will just display "Bad Image" and go on working.

Thanks for spotting this!

Don

Dirhael:
I do know of a sure fool-proof way to make it crash though...
-Dirhael (July 29, 2007, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Can't reproduce. I'm using thumbnails on huge folders with small image files since years without any crash. Maybe one of your tile files makes trouble? You can send them to me in a zip (if that's okay).

Donald (XY's author)
-DonL (July 30, 2007, 03:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Absolutely, I'll send them to you when I get back from my vacation. I should clarify though, this problem only happens if the images are GIF's. I have never encountered the problem with jpeg's and png's. Really appreciate you looking into such a insignificant problem, I don't think many other developers would have taken the time :)
--- End quote ---
My intuition was correct (but you could not find it as easily as I can from here): It is *one* pic that is truncated and throws XYplorer out of the tracks: wp_floral_931.gif

I did not fix the image but I fixed the crash. The next version will just display "Bad Image" and go on working.

Thanks for spotting this!

Don

-DonL (August 05, 2007, 01:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

No thank you for fixing the problem, and to think that you got it done it just a couple of days! 12 Windows Explorer Alternatives Compared Never imagined to see a fix so soon, especially for something that most people would never have a problem with :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version