ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

12 Windows Explorer Alternatives Compared

<< < (11/17) > >>

urlwolf:
What I want to know is:
Which of these managers can do: source code syntax highlighting (i.e., using scintilla or vim) within the editor (not in a different window) and updating it as soon as I change the file that is highlighted in the folder list?
I can do this with Dopus and source viewer plugin, but it's not portable, so looking for alternatives

Lashiec:
I like working with many panes displayed, each showing a different folder. A nice free file explorer that opens four panes and has many functions (including an OLE preview of many file types) is called File Commander 5. Its author has recently improved it quite a bit, and he's open to suggestions too.
-HankFriedman (February 24, 2007, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I tried File Commander some time ago, and although it had some good ideas, the implementation and execution was nearly terrible. Don't take it personal, but I think it's not up the level of quality showed by the major players.

What I want to know is:
Which of these managers can do: source code syntax highlighting (i.e., using scintilla or vim) within the editor (not in a different window) and updating it as soon as I change the file that is highlighted in the folder list?
I can do this with Dopus and source viewer plugin, but it's not portable, so looking for alternatives
-urlwolf (February 24, 2007, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Total Commander?

urlwolf:
Is Total Commander any faster copying files, displaying folders, etc?
Has anyone done a comparison with benchmarks?
Thanks

superboyac:
Is Total Commander any faster copying files, displaying folders, etc?
Has anyone done a comparison with benchmarks?
Thanks
-urlwolf (February 26, 2007, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm familiar with quite a few file managers, and although this is somewhat subjective and unofficial, my experience is that Total Commander is generally going to be faster than most of the file managers you run into.  This goes for copying, moving, displaying, etc.  How much faster, I don't know, but I'd bet money that in most things it's faster.  Maybe other file managers may be faster in a couple of specific areas, but TC will be faster on the whole.  Total Commander was designed with speed being the primary or one of the primary goals.

f0dder:
That does sound a bit silly since moving and copying is very I/O bound... it's hard to make your harddrive faster even if you do "omfg 100% assembly" programming :)

That said, vanilla explorer.exe is ridiculously slow for some operations, like deleting a large tree. It spends a lot of time "doing something" before the actual delete... fetching info on all files/subfolders? Haven't looked at the specifics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version