ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

12 Windows Explorer Alternatives Compared

<< < (8/17) > >>

gussan:
f0dder wrote "That's the kind of stuff I personally hate in a file explorer - and a thing that I used to turn off in WinXP explorer because it annoys the hell out of me."

Yes, it is your point of view, and I respect that, but in my opinion if a program can do more than just file management, and make other things really well like TC, for me it is perfect. TC can edit registry directly from its tabs, it has a TaskManager where you can filter, order by date, name, memory ussage, edit windows properties, kill programs; it has an Uninstaller; it has a quick search directory, not just bookmarks like X2, it has a directory hot list; Indeed it has a built in ftp program (works perfectly well); TC can hadle every kind of compression format by using plugins, X2 not, but to me it is a strength, not something to hate.  And the list goes on and on. Again if TC makes those things perfect, why would I have to use other programs?. Besides, remember that all of these things are not preinstalled, if you want you can add more power to TC, so if you just want file management, use TC just for that.

gussan:
But I suggest everyone wait for TC version 7, it will have a lot of improvements, (thanks ICFU, TC power user).

wasker:
Wasker, let me ask you something, X2 can search inside mp3 files, for example and give you the encoder used or the bitrate of the file? With TC you can, using Content Plugins.
-gussan
--- End quote ---
That's the kind of stuff I personally hate in a file explorer - and a thing that I used to turn off in WinXP explorer because it annoys the hell out of me.
-f0dder (October 24, 2006, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually this is very useful thing. Not the search by mp3 bitrate, but, say, search by file's Subversion status. Say, I can with couple key presses find all files that are not in SVN repository yet... This is what X2 does for me.

On the other hand I personally see no reason to have registry editor, uninstaller and memory usage on file manager panels. This could be an excuse for DOS Navigator back in DOS days, but now in Windows we have multitasking environment, and bothering with something on my tabs?... Hmmm... :-[

When I was using FAR Manager a year or so ago (I spent over 6-7 years with this shell!) I was also using plugins like Mail Dispatcher right from the FAR. And you know what? Outlook is waay better. :D

f0dder:
Actually this is very useful thing. Not the search by mp3 bitrate, but, say, search by file's Subversion status. Say, I can with couple key presses find all files that are not in SVN repository yet... This is what X2 does for me.
-wasker
--- End quote ---
I assume you use TortoiseSVN then? :) - that's the beauty of X2, instead of requiring specific plugins, it works with standard explorer extensions.

The "extract custom icon overlays" feature of X2 is really nifty with TortoiseSVN, and it's nifty that you can turn it off as well (since it does slow down things). As a compromise, I've configured Tortoise to only check status for my D:\ partition, where I have my source code, documents, ...

I tend to only have {name, size, extension, modified} columns, since that's what I need for file management. Many tab types slow down stuff (things like MP3 info massively so!), and I don't really need that stuff.

Oh well, the TC mindset just isn't my thing :)

gussan:
I tend to only have {name, size, extension, modified} columns, since that's what I need for file management. Many tab types slow down stuff (things like MP3 info massively so!), and I don't really need that stuff.

Oh well, the TC mindset just isn't my thing :)
-f0dder (October 25, 2006, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is the beauty of TC, you can have many tabs opened, with a registry editor, a taskmanager and many columns with lot of information and it is fast, even it has a branch directory feature really rocks; but if you think X2 is the best, well, I would say "X2 mindset just isn't my thing" too. I think we have to respect everyone opion, but for those who does not have tried other file manager options, do not forget TC.

Regarding standard explorer extensions TC can hadle them too, but plugins are faster to execute.

Now to compare FAR with TC is not fair at all, FAR is a DOS looking app, really ugly for me, powerful I would say, but not as powerful and versatile as TC.

edit by jgpaiva: fixing quote tag

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version