ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

12 Windows Explorer Alternatives Compared

<< < (6/17) > >>

JavaJones:
Perhaps that's so, it was really just a generality, and intended as a light-hearted analogy to begin with. :D

I'm not sure the ability to use shell extensions really changes the analogy though. Opera is also expandable in various ways, it's just that there are less plugins and modifications available to it. Firefox far outpaces it here, and I get the impression the same is true for TC. Of course if X2 can just use any Explorer shell extension one would think there would be more of those than TC plugins. I don't know the definitive answer.

- Oshyan

gussan:
JavaJones, for me TC is a lot faster than X2 in every aspect, file management operations and user operation, every command in the program can be assigned to a hotkey. Menues, icons, toolbars, colors, fonts and every aspect of the program can be customized (sorry I repeat this).

Wasker, X2 uses explorer shell extensions, TC also does, but plugins give it much more power than X2. I used X2 for a while, searching for a replacement of TC, but the use of mouse and lack of plugins made me abandon it.

Wasker, let me ask you something, X2 can search inside mp3 files, for example and give you the encoder used or the bitrate of the file? With TC you can, using Content Plugins.

But again, for common file management operations X2 is the second best after TC (for me, I respect other opinions).

gussan:
JavaJones wrote: "Of course if X2 can just use any Explorer shell extension one would think there would be more of those than TC plugins. I don't know the definitive answer."

I do not think there are more shell extension than TC plugins. TC has four (I made a mistake in a previous quote) kind of plugins: Content, Lister (Viewer) Packer, and File system plugins. These plugins are incredible, for example there is a File System plugins called "Versions" that I use every day to check program's version changes of currently 330 programs. Other to manejar palm files, a really complete Task manager, an Uninstaller.

The first program I install in a fresh Windows installation is TC, because in one program I manage every aspect of Windows. And I just have to copy TC directory and all TC's power is ready, no registry keys to import, nor external dependencies, it is just great.

JavaJones:
It definitely sounds like TC is very powerful. I will have to take a look at some point. It is unfortuante that no time is put toward updating the UI a bit. That should not be hard and although it is a minor thing, not related to functionality, I think it would make a lot more people look at it and consider it a serious option. For better or worse many people do consider aesthetics when choosing a program.

As for speed, remember that there is a difference between speed of the underlying application (fast to open, fast searches, fast to switch context, fast to minimize and restore, fast to list directories, etc.) and the speed of *using and navigating* the application which can be enhanced by shortcut keys, etc. Just because you can assign a shortcut key to anything - which does make it easier and faster to invoke/do something - doesn't mean doing the thing itself is fast (i.e. searching folders for a specific file_.

Not to say TC is not fast in both respects, but you seemed to mention mostly the speed of navigation and control rather than speed of the application, so I think it's important to note the difference. For example Opera is fast in terms of the underlying application (as well as navigation), whereas Firefox is slower in basic functions, but perhaps "faster" in terms of accessibility and function calling.

- Oshyan

wasker:
Wasker, let me ask you something, X2 can search inside mp3 files, for example and give you the bitrate of the file?-gussan (October 24, 2006, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.

Wasker, X2 uses explorer shell extensions, TC also does, but plugins give it much more power than X2. I used X2 for a while, searching for a replacement of TC, but the use of mouse and lack of plugins made me abandon it.-gussan (October 24, 2006, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually I don't use mouse with X2. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version