ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

12 Windows Explorer Alternatives Compared

<< < (3/17) > >>

jgpaiva:
Mouser: i think zaine was faster than you :P
Hey, it's up to 15 apps now, with XYplorer and Servant Salamander included! This is more of a "first impressions" article than a review. Still, I welcome any comparative discussion of software.
-zridling (October 16, 2006, 01:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dirhael:
The fact that he calls Directory Opus a "explorer style file-manager" just confirms the fact that he haven't really tested it at all. Really, I'm not to sure I even understand what he means by that, considering that in one of his screenshots he's even using the commander-style lister :huh:

Lashiec:
After reading the article slowly at home, I realized the guy gave a very quick test drive to some of the explorer alternatives. Lines like "At first glance xplorer² appears fairly average, digging deeper shows it to be a powerful File Manager" or "Having only used it for about 30 minutes total (so far), take these comments with a grain of salt" really makes you think about that possibility. Not to mention this other line "As it stands right now, I can’t pick a “winner” between Servant Salamander and Total Commander"... How come can he choose Total Commander after 30 minutes with it? Once you discover the 3rd party site, full with plugins, you almost feel overwhelmed by the power inherent in it.

Also, I would not recommend freeCommander as the budget alternative to anyone. If you don't want to spend a penny, it's way better to go with xplorer². freeCommander does not have a good design to start with, but then again, xplorer² is the one I use, so I may be a little biased :)

vegas:
I would like to say that I really like XYplorer and was happy to get in on the DonationCoder discount to purchase it ;)

BUT. and it's a big BUTT..... It does not support dual panes and the author states it NEVER will. I guess this is a big peave of his and says he doesn't want it and doesn't like it when talk of this feature comes up in the XYplorer forums.  Personally I just find myself really missing this feature, ALOT.   I do not understand why someone who writes a program to sell to users, says it's NOT something HE wants in his program and therefore it will NOT be there. Leaves me more inclined to believe that somehow the code would actually not be able to function properly if this was implemented, because it CAN be an optional feature.   I also don't think that adding that one feature desired by many, would have to lead to bloating the program with a longer list of other features.

Ok no more CAPS ;)

Aside from that Glaring omission, this program is very fast, customizable and well supported.  Definitely a top 6 in the world of explorer replacements. Others of course being:

Total Commander
Directory Opus
xplorer2
Servant Salamander
Free Commander

f0dder:
vegas: back when xPlorer^2 was 2xExplorer, the author stated that he wouldn't do a single-pane version... but lo and behold, with xPlorer^2 I can toggle dual-pane with ctrl+o. Extremely useful feature, glad he saw the light! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version