ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

12 Windows Explorer Alternatives Compared

<< < (17/17)

Tuxman:
As I recently stumbled upon this thread:
The major reason for me not to use TC is the lack of a single-pane mode. I tend to do a bunch of file operations within the same directory. The second pane is a waste of space for me.

JohnFredC:
 The second pane is a waste of space for me.
--- End quote ---

Simple solution to that:

Drag the TC panel divider all the way to the left or right margin and proceed.  All dual-panel commanders support single-panel mode in addition to dual-pane mode.

The major reason for me not to use TC is the lack of a single-pane mode. I tend to do a bunch of file operations within the same directory.
--- End quote ---

Why not set up both sides at the same folder and use dual-panel mode that way?  There are operational/task efficiencies even when both sides display the same location in the navigation hierarchy.  Give it a chance and you will discover them.

One benefit of two panels looking at the same folder is that you can use the panels to scroll to different locations in the folder.  Admittedly this is only useful if you have lots of files in that folder.

If you use many custom metadata columns in detail view, horizontal (instead of vertical) split mode would be good too, again pointed at the same folder in both panes, but perhaps scrolled to different locations.

That's the great thing about the commander-style interface: it is a superset of the single panel mode and supports any method of working you desire, including the rather limiting single-panel mode.

f0dder:
I prefer having the flexibility of a file browser that does both dual- and single-panel views... having to "drag away" a pane is what put me off from 2xExplorer. Fortunately, the successor supports both single- and dual-panel modes, tabs and whatnot.

The optimal mode depends on the task I'm performing, and that very often includes having only a single pane of information.

Innuendo:
Another option with TC is to turn on Tree View. You'll end up an interface much like Explorer where the tree view is in the left pane and the file list is in the right. Of course, you'll still have all of TC's power at your disposal so it'll be like Explorer on steroids.

However, everyone manages files differently so thankfully there is a plethora of file managers on the Windows platform and they all do things slightly differently so it's a pretty much sure thing that one will be able to find something that works the way they do.

Mac and Linux users don't have as rich a selection in this area.

Tuxman:
However TC's folder tree implementation is still a bit, ehm ... weird. Using the second (respectively first) panel as a folder tree doesn't fit my definition of a separate folder tree..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version