ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

12 Windows Explorer Alternatives Compared

<< < (10/17) > >>

wasker:
I do not think so, FAR development is no as active as TC development at all, so TC is getting better and better while FAR is almost dying, since Eugene Roshal is not in active development of FAR.
-gussan (October 25, 2006, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's actually true, and yet another one of the reasons.

Plasma Man:
Just to get back to the orginal post for a minute ..

The problem with these sorts of shoot-outs is that so often no evaluation criteria are clearly set out or at least some basis for inquiry.

In this case, I'd be thinking of questions like:

AS IT IS
- what are the useful / inadequate features of Win Explorer? How can Win Explorer (as it is) be tweaked to make it more useful? What simple shell utilities could you use to make file management easier?
- how does Win Explorer stack up against other file explorers / managers in other OSes?

I WANT MORE
- why would you want a replacement?
- what are the typical features of Explorer replacements (e.g. installed or portable, footprint, extra plugins needed, dual/ multi pane, dedicated hotkeys for file manaipulation etc etc)

WHAT I WANT TO DO
- what sort of new or added functionality would be beneficial for you? "You" (your needs) would then need defining. Are you working with a lot of text, multimedia, imagery only. audio only, video only etc.? Are working within a networked environment? For business or general messing around?

OTHER IDEAS
- going a little deeper - what are the advantages of using an actual shell replacement?

and so on ...

Andre

f0dder:
Plasma Man: it would be pretty useful to have a set of criteria for comparison, indeed - and the ones you list aren't half bad.

Anyone up for doing a *real* comparison? ;)

Lashiec:
Plasma Man: it would be pretty useful to have a set of criteria for comparison, indeed - and the ones you list aren't half bad.

Anyone up for doing a *real* comparison? ;)

-f0dder (October 25, 2006, 09:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Buff, that could be the end for the reviewer. It's a very hard task

HankFriedman:
I like working with many panes displayed, each showing a different folder. A nice free file explorer that opens four panes and has many functions (including an OLE preview of many file types) is called File Commander 5. Its author has recently improved it quite a bit, and he's open to suggestions too.

You can download it at:

http://www.godlikesoft.de/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version