ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop acts sluggish even after all attempts are made to increase speed...

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
JavaJones: I think it's "sasser".

And the builtin firewall is far from useless, and it's not a silly thing to include (linux and bsd generally come with firewalls as well, even if not enabled by default). Yes, if you run as admin a piece of malware kan turn the firewall off... but it could do the same with any other firewall as well.

I prefer a NATing router anyway, "personal firewalls" are too much hassle for me compared to what they're worth. The only thing I miss is the ability to easily see apps that phone home, but it's not that big of an issue to me.

JavaJones:
Yes, sasser is right. Thanks. :)

I agree about doing firewalls at the hardware and router level. But I wonder why I haven't yet seen "the best of both worlds" - a piece of software that runs on a connected system that interacts directly with the router firewall and allows you to control it just like a software firewall. Seems like that should easily be possible and would be a lot better than dealing with the web-based control panel most routers have. You could have notification of outbounds, immediate optional block or allow (the biggest thing I miss with hardware firewalls), etc, etc. Surely such a thing exists at the consumer level!

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version